Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventures in weed burning

Silver Member

Re: Adventures in weed burning

This is why people sit on their asses and do nothing. The government is out of control with its regulation of every initiative to improve one's life and property.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    This is why people sit on their asses and do nothing. The government is out of control with its regulation of every initiative to improve one's life and property.
    Unfortunately the citizens of the city are doing it to themselves on this issue. There are other ordinances, cell phone, dog barking, ect that are amply covered by common laws(distracted driving, noise ordinance, ect) that are already being enforced by the police departments but the citizens decided they needed to create a "Knee Jerk" ordinance (what I call it) so the city council representatives oblige them.

What do I see currently, people driving a talking on cell phones, dogs that bark all night long, ect. These ordinances do nothing to fix a real problem even after they've been on the books for years. Common sense has long gone out the window and it seems there is really no plan of action to correct these nuisances.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Gold Member

Personally, I think 99% of laws are knee jerk reactions to specific incidents. Politicians don't really think things through. I'm sure that some person couldn't be contacted for whatever reason and the weeds got so bad that the knee jerk reaction was to change the law so that no contact was necessary. Its really no different than one psycho nut job trying to make exploding underwear so that now everyone that flies has to go through an xray and then get swabbed and also patted down just because of a single Tums (not even a whole roll) in their pocket -- yes that happened to me last month. Anything to make the constituents think the politicians are doing something so they can get re-elected.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    That is so true usually people sit on their asses ... Politicians sit on their head ... head has the same use to them as asses have to us.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator

Maybe you could put up a sign that says:

"Don't touch my weed!"

And then the pot heads might come and steal all the weeds.

(Of course you'd get fined for an unauthorized sign within city limits.)
    Last edited by Ron Shurtz; 07-17-14 at 11:04 AM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Shurtz View Post
    Maybe you could put up a sign that says:
    "Don't touch my weed!"
    I was tempted to plant some ghost chilies around the perimeter of the garden to bait the school kids that doubtless will be trying to get in there in the coming months. Unfortunately there are not enough hot days for the plants up here...
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

duke i love the new black sheep thing man

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Personally, I think 99% of laws are knee jerk reactions . . . Anything to make the constituents think the politicians are doing something so they can get re-elected.
    Amen a thousand times, AMEN. The ONLY new law we need now (and I mean RIGHT NOW) is TERM LIMITS on every single elected or appointed government position, straight across the board.
    Give them all 4 years or whatever you want to make it. ONE TERM. No chance to pull the card of doing "B.S." while in office just to get elected again. Give everyone in this country one shot to "win" a position in the gov at any level, for ONE term of X years to "help" the country if that is what the person truly wants to do with their life.

If we did that, two things would happen. Eventually the scum "cling-on" class would actually leave the gov positions because it couldn't be a "life-time" type job and pay, and they would go back to being mafia and union bosses, etc.
    The second thing that would happen, is we just might see some "regular Joe" working class citizens that actually have some common sense left, start running for positions because they would be compared and remembered by their single term. Then they could get back to life after that term.

This would truly be a government by the people and for the people as it was meant to be in the beginning. A "life-time politician" was never even envisioned by the founders of our country. How far we have fallen . . .

Diamond Member

I would like to see mandatory expiration on all laws. If they are crap laws, when they die, they stay dead. If they are good laws, it will be easy to justify re-enacting them. I don't see any downside.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I would like to see mandatory expiration on all laws. If they are crap laws, when they die, they stay dead. If they are good laws, it will be easy to justify re-enacting them. I don't see any downside.
    The only downside I see is that politicians will use expiring laws to collect contributions more frequently. The people who think they've fixed something will find themselves having to pay to defend it time and time again -- even, and perhaps especially, for good laws.

That said, I agree with your proposition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12