Thread: QCN Continual Eating my HDD

Platinum Member

QCN Continual Eating my HDD

So I had a weird problem the other day...

I kept getting a message (from several projects) that I didn't have enough hard drive space for a new WU. I looked at my stats in the BOINC manager, and it was showing me that QCN Continual was eating up ~260GB of space. I detached from that project, and everything went back to normal for all the other projects.

Anyone seen this?

Diamond Member

Re: QCN Continual Eating my HDD

nope
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Not sure. Sounds like maybe the QCN app had a bug. Something like repeatedly doing one or more file operations ---> creating new log file, opening up compressed data file, etc...

Anyone else reporting a similar issue on the project forums?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

This just happened to me again, but with EMSC-CSEM Continual. Using up 280+GB of drive space, and even prevented me from downloading a WUProp unit. And no message boards, so I don't know if anyone else is seeing this. Damn it!

Administrator

I've never seen this but I have run into an issue in the past with the QCN projects. They are NCI and use almost no CPU but after running them for a week or more continuously sometimes they would start using 3-7% of a processor thread. I would abort them, get a new WU, and all was fine again. I was running 9 at a time and this was quite common.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I've never seen this but I have run into an issue in the past with the QCN projects. They are NCI and use almost no CPU but after running them for a week or more continuously sometimes they would start using 3-7% of a processor thread. I would abort them, get a new WU, and all was fine again. I was running 9 at a time and this was quite common.
    Oh - one key detail I left out. These WUs are fine on computers without a sensor. This behavior is only happening on the laptop that has a sensor built in...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Oh - one key detail I left out. These WUs are fine on computers without a sensor. This behavior is only happening on the laptop that has a sensor built in...
    That explains why I've never seen this problem. Sensors....hmmmmm....on my list of things to get at some point.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    That explains why I've never seen this problem. Sensors....hmmmmm....on my list of things to get at some point.
    +1

That'll teach you Maxwell ... lose the sensor