Thread: Microsoft decided to extort Windows 7 users too

Platinum Member

Microsoft decided to extort Windows 7 users too

It's a little lengthy, but if you don't read the whole thing, you won't understand how badly we need someone to nuke M$

http://semiaccurate.com/2014/07/14/m...ndows-7-users/

Past Administrator

Re: Microsoft decided to extort Windows 7 users too

If that report is true...wow. I can't imagine Microsoft ending support for Win 7 in 5 months. That would be crazy. Windows 7 was the best OS since XP. It really was/is very stable and effective.

Diamond Member

I think that article is not quite accurate.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns...re-7000031348/

Mainstream, free support is ending on January 13, 2015 for a number of major Microsoft products, including all versions of Windows 7 (Enterprise, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate and Starter). Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, so users can expect to continue to receive free security updates, but not feature updates, for Windows 7 until that point. For those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 applied, the end of mainstream and extended support dates are the same -- January 13, 2015 and January 14, 2020, respectively -- given there is no Windows 7 SP2.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

MS has been loosing touch with reality for a long time now and with the end of support for Win 7 before a secure option can even be provided is the proof many will need to make the change. My question is can they be held liable for their actions?

Making a customer pay for support or risk losing valuable information or systems without providing a secure solution sounds a bit fishy to me.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    MS has been loosing touch with reality for a long time now....My question is can they be held liable for their actions?
    That first part is an understatement. If they could make you pay a monthly or yearly fee per device for using their OS or any of their products, they would. In a way, they already are on some products. As for them being liable, one could try to hold them liable. But it won't fly since in order to use their stuff, one must agree to their TOS and end user agreement....a one sided contract that really shouldn't be allowed to be used as an agreement period. They reserve the right to change any term without notification of those affected. Another reason why it should not be legal. I wouldn't want to be the one who tries to take on the legal team of MS.
    Last edited by Shandia; 07-16-14 at 10:06 PM.