Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrading my budget built amd machine

Gold Member

Re: upgrading my budget built amd machine

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    The Noctua NH-d14 worked very well on my FX-8150 @ 4.5ghz. It's also very quiet. Anything over 4.5 and you should really go to water. Not sure how the 8350 ocs by comparison to the 8150, but I hit a stability hole at anything over 4.6ghz, which might have been heat or the limit of the cpu. Running that high an oc you'll need to watch other mb components as they'll run hot too. EmSti could speak more to that as I think he added some directional cooling fans to blow on the mosfet.
    yeah i want water cooling surprisingly the stock cooler has done really well to 4.5/4.6 if i only use 6 out of the 8 cores , i do have a fan blowing down on the power section of the board and that helped with the stability issues i was having but im still going to get the 990 board to replace the low end 880board i have now , long term upgrade involes switching to one of the new fx 9xxx so want to go over kill on the cooler now since that is a 220w tdp cpu andthis one is only 125w tdp

Gold Member

well i know what case i want now

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-9bay-acrylic-uv.html

edit dammit there out of stock on both the clear and uv versions , anyone know were else to get one?

Gold Member

of course it looks like they arent avaialable at all

Silver Member

that is a nice looking case!

All your base are belong to us!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    that is a nice looking case!
    ive been looking all day to see if i can find one instock anywere and i cant, closest i can find is a logisys case for 20 bucks less but i dont think i like it that much

Gold Member

well since i cant really purchase anything for upgrades i decided to see what i can do to improve what i have. looking around at some spare stuff i had i decided i needed to cool the power supply section of the board and the mb itself
    so i took one of my 80mm fans and trimmed out the hole behind the cpu section of the board and mounted the fan there , so now it blows on the underside of the mb below the cpu and out around the edges.
    i also took one of the 120mm fans i had goten and mounted it in the case blowing onto the power section of the board , initial tests allowed me to get the system stable at 4.7ghz which is the highest ive been able to run wide open and be stable, ive also noticed a big decrease in heat on the board , and dropped 2/3*c out of the cpu.

unfortunatly my 500w psu is maxed showing only 11.6V on the 12v side , and raises when back off on the overclocking, so i guess thats going to be the absolute limit i can hit until i can again spend some money to upgrade a few things.
    if im lucky the 500w psu will run 2 of the bfls and then i can use one of the cx750's i bought for the bfls for the amd machine

Past Administrator

Good ideas. And welcome to the "Modders Club"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Good ideas. And welcome to the "Modders Club"

thanks i think even when i can eventually get a new case im still going to put a fan under the mb , that single mod made a huge difference in heaton the board

Gold Member

well i ended up trading out some laptop parts for a new psu for the amd box , got bored toight so i shut it down to swap it out and add a few more drives, fan controller, and clean up the wiring

my cooling solution for the gt430

mounted up the 120mm fan inside the case blowing down on the power section of the board , eventually when i feel like diging out the plasma cutter ill cut 2 holes inthe side pannel to mount the fans to that, but for now i run it without the cover in place so it works really well

side shot

gt430 with fan

fan controller is mounted up in a optical bay , i uninstalled the zip drive out of the bay and used the adapter to mount the fan controller , the fan controller is only controlling the 120mm fan , and the 80mm on the gt430 right now once i get the case cut for the 2 side 120's it will control both those fans , a top mounted 120mm , and the cpu fan as i dont think ill need the fan on the video card one i get those 2 120's mounted in the side panel

im hoping the bigger psu will let me get some more stability when i go for higher clock speeds eventually

Gold Member

i think i fried something , computer boots up , but i have no video output on either the onboard hd4250 , or the gt430 , if i let it boot fully up i can connect with team viewer , guess its time to pull it back apart and unplugg all the additional hardrives , and usb ports i added and see if it fixes it, if it does ill add each thing back one a time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast