Thread: SubsetSum@Home: project unification

Diamond Member

SubsetSum@Home: project unification

Hi Everyone,So I want to try and start unifying the projects to simplify server updates, checking the forums, etc. Before I get going I want a little feedback as to what I'm planning so everyone is okay with it.Basically, I'm going to create a new project (probably called "Citizen Science Grid") or something along those lines. Unfortunately, because people have different accounts on each project I can't do an automatic merge of the users and databases. So this means you'd have to create a new account on the new project (when the new project starts those will be the only forums for the site).When the new project is up and going, I'll allow everyone to transfer their credit from their other accounts via a webpage (basically if you're logged in, you can enter in the user name and id of your account on citizen science grid, hit okay and it will transfer the credit over). So a couple questions about this approach:1. will it break the credit trackers too badly? I'll subtract credit on the old project to 0, and then add the same amount of credit to the new account on citizen science grid.2. I kind of want to keep credit for the different projects separate; if I keep different tables and export the stats of each project as it's own part of XML, will that cause any problems? Or would everyone rather just have one combined credit for each of the projects here (Wildlife@Home, DNA@Home, and SubsetSum@Home -- we'll probably be launching another one in the fall as well, so I want to get this done before we go doing that).So, once I get some feedback, and if people don't have too many issues with this I'll set up the new project and get things started. Otherwise back to the drawing board. :PAlso, on a SubsetSum@Home note, I'm hoping to get a student to work on the project in the fall; but no guarantees yet (we're pretty busy with Wildlife@Home, and DNA@Home is booting back up).thanks, hope to hear from you soon about this!--Travis

More...

Platinum Member

Re: SubsetSum@Home: project unification

Hmmm. So I wonder if you don't request to merge credits, does that mean you'll have all your MM's on the old projects for ever then? But if you merge, you'll lose all of those...

Personally, I think I'd opt to leave the credits where they are and just start over with whatever new project he creates and get the MM's over again.

Administrator

Re: SubsetSum@Home: project unification

So he subtracts all the credits then that means I will have SubSetSum on my main account with zero balance forever? Oh yeh, I love that!