Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS X beta causing problems

Platinum Member

Re: OS X beta causing problems

Silly Windows based suggestion... With the O/S Upgrade, did you re-install any GPU drivers? Sounds like you did an in-place upgrade but then it asked you to reinstall specific things. I wonder if the Video card drivers just need a re-install to sort things out. (Specifically, that mention of "App version needs CUDA but GPU doesn't support it" suggests maybe the CUDA portion went AWOL.)

Diamond Member

Good point. CUDA DL page:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Lists only through 10.9. Does CUDA support 10.10 yet?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

jgillett

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Nope. He is on the dev lists:
    Thank you!

jgillett

Good point. CUDA DL page:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Lists only through 10.9. Does CUDA support 10.10 yet?
    Good point, but unknown since 10.10 is still an early beta. NVIDIA item in 10.10 System Prefs indicates 'No newer CUDA driver available'.

Thanks.

Diamond Member

I googled around a bit, but couldn't find anything about CUDA support for 10.10/yosemite. But I am notoriously bad at searching.

jgillett

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Silly Windows based suggestion...
    Not silly at all. No new drivers were installed by me, nor did Apple suggest in any of the docs that would be necessary. This was an optional card when the system was manufactured and I'm thinking they just forgot to check fo it in the new software (although, as mentioned initially, have been through other beta upgrades with this system and had no problems at all with BOINC or anything else - no additional steps were required).

Thanks.

jgillett

I googled around a bit, but couldn't find anything about CUDA support for 10.10/yosemite. But I am notoriously bad at searching.
    This beta has only been out for about a week, and is/could be different from the one developers get. Doubtful that anything would shown up in a search as Apple keeps this kind of stuff pretty quiet.

Thanks.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by jgillett View Post
    Not silly at all. No new drivers were installed by me, nor did Apple suggest in any of the docs that would be necessary. This was an optional card when the system was manufactured and I'm thinking they just forgot to check fo it in the new software (although, as mentioned initially, have been through other beta upgrades with this system and had no problems at all with BOINC or anything else - no additional steps were required).
    Keep in mind, the GPU drivers are completely different from CUDA. So Apple probably made sure the GPU drivers works for what GPUs normally do. CUDA is not part of OSX, and Apple relies on nVidia to provide that.

jgillett

Keep in mind, the GPU drivers are completely different from CUDA. So Apple probably made sure the GPU drivers works for what GPUs normally do. CUDA is not part of OSX, and Apple relies on nVidia to provide that.
    Understood.

I reinstalled the 5.5.28 cuda stuff (down level has been necessary because of errors generated by later driver versions against OS X). That resulted in no change; i.e. no WUs at all in progress or even loaded.

Had been sitting on an updated v7 app from the Crunchers folks (MBv7_7.05r2203_sse3_OSX64_noprof). Came with its own app_info. Still had the complete blank window in BOINC. Found a name problem between the app_info and the actual app. Fixed that and BOINC started pulling down a mess of _v7 7.05 WUs! They're actually running and uploading.

Feeling my oats I took the new app.info and combined it with the original that had been running properly prior to 10.10b. Still have the 7.05s running, but still no ap or cuda WUs (think the server actually ran dry on the ap stuff). So - better than nothing, but not as good as pre-beta OS. Trying NVIDIA 6.0.37 made no difference.

And - thank you all for your patience and suggestions with me on this!

jgillett

Silly thing finally decided to start processing. Now runs ap WUs as before, but has also decided to run v7 WUs (never did before). Unfortunately, the old cuda problem is back...

comp-err.jpg

Pulls cuda WUs but can't run them. This was fixed in the older OS version by running 5.5.28 drivers. Have tried both that and the new 6.0.37 but both fail the same way.

At least it's now running something...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast