Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motherboard upgrade to my P3

Gold Member

Lightbulb Motherboard upgrade to my P3

Now that I've upgraded the Dell to an E7600, I have this spare E2160. I gave my daughter the P4 HT and my wife is most definitely not happy with the performance of the P3 that the daughter was using.

So, I don't she'll mind if I can upgrade that case to a dual core. I've decided to start searching for a cheap board that will run the E2160 and also, that will give me another PCIE slot to work with. Maybe I can eventually acquire an ATI card for it.

Since I already have an ATA hard drive, I'm going to look for a board that supports that and hopefully get a seamless transition to the better performing board. I guess I will need to make some changes to my linux kernel. (no big deal) So, I guess I'll also be in the market for some more Ram to go into the 'new' board.

I currently have a bid on a board on Ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I don't know if my current bid is enough to win it or even if it's worth what I bid, but I currently have the high bid.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Re: Motherboard upgrade to my P3

Hey trigggl, if by chance that auction passes your max bid, you can get that same make and model at Buy.com - Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L for $56.08 w/Free Shipping.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you will also need a new PSU as the Pentium for requires the P4 12 Volt connector that did not exist in the time of that dinosaur, err I mean PIII.
    From Wikipedia : ATX12V 1.0 Revision
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 02-07-11 at 10:25 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

You can get a new socket 775 mobo at Newegg for less than $40...

Silver Member

Just to put it out there, last time I looked Dell sells refurbished MOBOs on their site as replacement parts. Just need a service tag# and it should let you into the parts store.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Hey trigggl, if by chance that auction passes your max bid, you can get that same make and model at Buy.com - Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L for $56.08 w/Free Shipping.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you will also need a new PSU as the Pentium for requires the P4 12 Volt connector that did not exist in the time of that dinosaur, err I mean PIII.
    From Wikipedia : ATX12V 1.0 Revision
    Is the 12 connector thing true of Rambus boards? No matter, I still have the power supply left over from the PSU upgrade to my Dell.

All great ideas. Now I hope I do get out bid. I should always check here before making bids/purchases. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by trigggl; 02-07-11 at 08:10 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

My Dad's first P4 build we did back when I was in college - 2001 I think? It was the ASUS P4T-E board, and it uses RAMBUS ram, and has the little square 4 prong 12V P4 rail plugin from the PSU. I believe all boards had it after that. And for a long time, PSUs came in a box that promoted "Pentium4 ready" on it.

Shoot...now the new ones have an 8 prong socket! Power up baby...

Gold Member

Your showing your age there DrPop.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    My Dad's first P4 build we did back when I was in college - 2001 I think? It was the ASUS P4T-E board, and it uses RAMBUS ram, and has the little square 4 prong 12V P4 rail plugin from the PSU. I believe all boards had it after that. And for a long time, PSUs came in a box that promoted "Pentium4 ready" on it.

Shoot...now the new ones have an 8 prong socket! Power up baby...
    I bought the PSU somewhere around 2001, so it may have everything I need.

I just noticed I can overclock with this board. I will definitely be doing some of that (if I get it).
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Starting to get a little excited about this one. Whether I get this board or another, as long as overclocking is supported, I should be able to get at least 2.8Ghz out of my 1.8Ghz E2160 with stock voltage and cooling. These processors have been oc'ed to as high as 3.2-3.4Ghz by raising the Vcore to 1.5 V.

In particular, I read a feedback at newegg which specified an easy oc of the E2160 to 2.8Ghz on this specific board.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Well, my top bid won the motherboard so I might as well be happy with it.

Next I'll need Ram, but I can borrow from the Dell for a bit. That will be 1G each until I get more. I may actually have everything I need to piece this together.
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast