Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams Helping Teams

Silver Member

Re: Teams Helping Teams

"You've been very generous with your time Jerry, and it's much appreciated.

"In the unlikely event that you or your team ever need any help reaching a particular target or challenge, then please let us know and I'm sure that many of us would be happy help you out in return.

James." -- UK BOINC Team

Silver Member

8.974 billion additional credits for The UK BOINC Team! Now on to Seti-Germany.

Some SUSA members may question this donation for various reasons, but SG has members who are very friendly with us, plus they do an incredible job with the annual Pentathlons. I see this as an opportunity to improve SUSA/SG relations. Moreover, one of my goals is to crunch for teams that would likely be active and persuasive with David Anderson should he try to adjust BU credits or eliminate them from the stats sites. I want to give as much as a vested interest in BU to as many teams as I can. I firmly believe SG would be in our corner on BU credits issues.

Over at The Scottish Boinc Team Forum, MegaCruncher and Alez made some excellent suggestions on how to make donations to other teams. I can't say I'll always follow these principles, but I intend to give them considerable weight in making future donations.

MegaCruncher:
    1. Bestow my bounty on the needy. Ie don't give to the anyone in the top 100 teams. Or certainly not teams in the top 25.
    2. Resist the temptation to be a player and influence specific rivalries.
    3. Give donations of equal value to every team I visit.
    4. Consider donations in all projects esp helping other teams in Boincstats team challenges etc.
    5. Only donate to teams that are content to receive credits from me.
    6. Donate only to teams where I've got an interest ( eg my University team) or alternatively be totally random.

Alez:
    I especially think #2 is very valid as at the end of the day I like to look on my teams position and know that within reason it is our efforts from within the team. . . . I personally would not like over 25% of our credits to be gifted. . . .

I think I would slightly modify the Alez rule to limit donations to 1 day of crunching or 25% of a team's total credits, whichever is greater.

Another principle universally followed by SUSA is that when members of other teams crunch for us, we return the favor by crunching for them.

Administrator

That's a good choice MSP.

Let's see, they were the #2 team when we started BU (we would have passed them in 2 weeks anyway). Now they are the #3 team just like if BU hadn't have happened. The difference is rather than being 10s of millions of credits behind they are 300 billion behind. So while you pile on 8B credits to their account those who are actually crunching for SUSA will add another 30B to our lead. I'm sure SG can't wait to tell DA how much they enjoy and support the BU credits.

One nice thing though, you get to show TEAM POS. 1 in your signature. Congrats!

Silver Member

Thanks, Bryan. I appreciate your support for improving inter-team relations.

Platinum Member

Keep in mind though Bryan, as soon as he moves to a new team, his status adjusts accordingly. So the team he's left will forever have that extra 8 Bil, but won't even have a user on the team with 8 Bil in credits. And the users actually on the team bounce up their appropriate # of positions.

Silver Member

5.098 billion for SETI-Germany. Now on to Team Starfire World BOINC. paul_1 is a member of the team. He is almost always logged into our team chat, and regularly offers to help with our team goals.
    Last edited by myshortpencil; 09-28-14 at 09:43 PM.

Silver Member

4.03 billion for Team Starfire World BOINC. Now off to The Knights Who Say Ni!.

Silver Member

Cool man

Silver Member

3.1 billion for our friends at The Knights Who Say Ni!. Now on to the US NAVY, where I served for 6 years.

Gold Member

Do you guys donate all your salary to charity or only a percentage (5-10%)?

Carlos

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast