Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxwell 2 - NVidia GTX 980

Past Administrator

Maxwell 2 - NVidia GTX 980

Man, looks like Maxwell is finally hitting its stride. Check out the (relatively) low watt burn for this card - 165W. That's sweet considering how many CUDA cores are on this baby for crunching.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/n...gtx-980-review

Platinum Member

Re: Maxwell 2 - NVidia GTX 980

At least they named after something awesome...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Check out the (relatively) low watt burn for this card - 165W. That's sweet considering how many CUDA cores are on this baby for crunching.
    Yep and they further crippled FP64 down to 144 GFLOPS on the 980. FP32 is 4612 GFLOPS. That is a really nice TDP though.

Edit: The 980 is the most efficient single precision GPU ever made getting 27.95 GFLOPS/W

Edit: As of this launch, Nvidia has discontinued the 780, 780 Ti and 770. Make sure to get one of those models branded as EVGA so when you RMA it they're forced to give you a 900 series replacement
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 09-19-14 at 03:08 PM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    ...The 980 is the most efficient single precision GPU ever made getting 27.95 GFLOPS/W...
    Do you have any inside scoop on if the the competition (AMD) is going to bring something similar to the table? Or if we need a new GPU in the next few months, is this "da big one"?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Do you have any inside scoop on if the the competition (AMD) is going to bring something similar to the table? Or if we need a new GPU in the next few months, is this "da big one"?
    This isn't "da big one". Unfortunately that one will be a bit of a wait. How long is anyone's guess since it's being determined by Nvidia's whims and greed. The chip already exists though.

AMD is working on the R9 300 series, but that'll be awhile too.

Platinum Member

"da big one" may possibly be released by the end of the year, maybe. It'll be called the GTX 980 Ti and/or the Titan X or the Titan II, at least as far as anyone can tell right now. Somewhere from 2560 to 2816 cores and a 384 memory bus which is estimated to make it 50% faster than a Titan Black. It's all rumor so we'll see..

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    "da big one" may possibly be released by the end of the year, maybe. It'll be called the GTX 980 Ti and/or the Titan X or the Titan II, at least as far as anyone can tell right now. Somewhere from 2560 to 2816 cores and a 384 memory bus which is estimated to make it 50% faster than a Titan Black. It's all rumor so we'll see..
    You mean I'll have to take out a second mortgage by the end of the year? Or will they accept first born? As much as I love my Titan it will take a card with a lot more performance(I'm unrealistically thinking 3x) with lower power requirements for me to be able to justify dropping any more dough.

So probably in the next three years we'll get there, if somebody doesn't buy out all the competition and stagnate the performance increases per year any more.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

If we want to take up a collection so that I can buy a bunch of these, I'd be OK with that. I've heard rumors* that there's also a 20% performance boost for people who crunch under the name Maxwell...

*Source = that handsome person who lives in the mirror

Platinum Member

From what i just saw of the "leaked" images of "da big one", it looks like it's going to be really big. Very, very big. Biggest ever. Based on some image analysis i saw a bit ago, it appears it'll have a die size of about 632mm^2, making it almost 30% larger than the GK110 used in the Titans. This is getting interesting. Remember this is only happening because TSMC failed to deliver 20nm GPUs. Everyone is hitting a wall with the 28nm, but they're still trying to come up something better than the last thing they came up with.

Past Administrator

How can they keep power usage in check when they up the die size so much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast