Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual slot gpus / 2 diffent series nvida cards together?

Gold Member

dual slot gpus / 2 diffent series nvida cards together?

ok so i got that new fx machine with the 550 ti in it , befire i reinstall win7 on it i have 2 questions

#1 can i run the pci zotac gt430 and the 550ti at the same time
    #2 is the 550ti happens to end up right against the 430 , how much room should that 550ti have so the fan can pull in air

going to have this same issue on the other amd box witht he 7990's being right up against each other , but im already looking at some waterblocks for those

Platinum Member

Re: dual slot gpus / 2 diffent series nvida cards together?

#1 is no problem. I've run vastly different NVidia cards together with no problem.
    #2 it would be best to have at least a slot in between, but even if not, you'll be OK as long as the fan can turn. You just might not be able to overclock it much, if at all.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    #1 is no problem. I've run vastly different NVidia cards together with no problem.
    #2 it would be best to have at least a slot in between, but even if not, you'll be OK as long as the fan can turn. You just might not be able to overclock it much, if at all.
    thanks its got about 1/8th inch between the the 550ti and the gt430 i also have a 120mm case fan blowing directly onto the cards along with a 80mm mounted directly to the gt430 to keep that thing cool , as it ran super hot in the other machine without a fan on it

any specific driver i should use for the 550ti for crunching?

really cant wait to get the new machine up and going , im still waiting on my case and 1300w psu , and need to buy some swifttech water blocks for the 7990's so i can run all 4

Administrator

Don't over concern yourself with the heat issue until it starts causing a problem, like invalids. I've run my NVs at higher temps than recommended with no problems.

Platinum Member

No specific driver. Just use the newest one/what NVidia recommends. I've recently run a 570 and a 295 together with the latest driver.

Silver Member

2 GPUs are no problem, I have this in all my Boxes.
    If you try to run three of them consider taking the middle one out of the case with a PCIe expander.

Gold Member

thanks guys got windows 7 installed and box is up and running , now i just gota do all the darn updates

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    thanks guys got windows 7 installed and box is up and running , now i just gota do all the darn updates
    Well, you should be up and running in four days, once all the updates finish.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Well, you should be up and running in four days, once all the updates finish.

already done
    anyways im having an issue with zotac firestorm , its over clocking both the cards the same which isnt good i may just have to leave them stock speeds if i cant figure out how to overclock each individually
    i already know the baseline on the gt430 , need to get one on the 550ti to see if overclocking it even really helps much

Gold Member

looks liek i may have to ditch the gt430 temps on the 550ti are sky rocketing at stock speeds

82* so far temps have stabilized at 87*c with fans at 68% is that ok for this card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast