Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 PowerColor R 270X cards

Silver Member

Re: 4 PowerColor R 270X cards

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Ahh okay JPM. Thx for the refresher. This info has been posted before IIRC. The only issue I might have with a 7970 is finding a full block WC plate for it.
    IIRC the 280X has the same DP rate as a 7970.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Gold Member

id prolly take one if i could get my acer machine to accept an gpu but everytime i install one in the pci-e 16 slot it fails to boot , its the only pc i have left without an gpu other then the one built into the apu
    if anyone has any ideas to try let me know and ill test it with a 550ti if i can get it to work ill buy one of those cards u have left

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    IIRC the 280X has the same DP rate as a 7970.
    yeah, they are close.

7970 = 947.2
    280X = 870.4/1024

Question: Why is DP expressed as a dual numbered value (as seen in the 280X)?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

yeah, they are close.

7970 = 947.2
    280X = 870.4/1024

Question: Why is DP expressed as a dual numbered value (as seen in the 280X)?
    The 2nd number is the Double Precision GFLOPs value associated with the GPU's "Boost" clock speed - in this case 1000Mhz.

This site has a tool you can use to determine GFLOPS at a given clock speed (has not been updated in a good while). To get DP on 79xx series cards, divide SP GFLOPs by 4.
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....d1=663&card2=#

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    The 2nd number is the Double Precision GFLOPs value associated with the GPU's "Boost" clock speed - in this case 1000Mhz.

This site has a tool you can use to determine GFLOPS at a given clock speed (has not been updated in a good while). To get DP on 79xx series cards, divide SP GFLOPs by 4.
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....d1=663&card2=#
    Ahhh, that makes sense. Thx.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    id prolly take one if i could get my acer machine to accept an gpu but everytime i install one in the pci-e 16 slot it fails to boot , its the only pc i have left without an gpu other then the one built into the apu
    if anyone has any ideas to try let me know and ill test it with a 550ti if i can get it to work ill buy one of those cards u have left
    I had a similar experience. FWIW I tried an ATI card in the slot and the machine booted when it wouldn't with the Nvidia card even though the Nvidia card would boot in another slot on the same machine. If you have an ATI card give it a shot if you haven't already.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    Sorry I missed this one.

Suggestions

*Check that PCIe slot for lint/dirt or some sign of damage. If one of more contacts within the slot cannot mate properly with the GPU, the boot sequence will lock-up.

*Make sure the your PSU has enough power to feed the GPU. Note that many PSUs have split/multiple power rails so total output is divided between them. This could lead to a current overdraw on one rail if the end user has not properly mapped out which cables are fed from each of those rails. Current overdraw can/will cause a voltage drop on that rail.

*Check your BIOS settings. you may have to adjust several parameters, like disabling APU on one page and enabling GPU activation in a PCIe slot on another page.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Sorry I missed this one.

Suggestions

*Check that PCIe slot for lint/dirt or some sign of damage. If one of more contacts within the slot cannot mate properly with the GPU, the boot sequence will lock-up.

*Make sure the your PSU has enough power to feed the GPU. Note that many PSUs have split/multiple power rails so total output is divided between them. This could lead to a current overdraw on one rail if the end user has not properly mapped out which cables are fed from each of those rails. Current overdraw can/will cause a voltage drop on that rail.

*Check your BIOS settings. you may have to adjust several parameters, like disabling APU on one page and enabling GPU activation in a PCIe slot on another page.

thanks guys i tired all that had to swap out the psu for a 750w , the oem one was only 400w still wont boot up with nvidia or ati card, this one just want meant to have an addon gpu i guess

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    2 sold
    PM sent, hope you still have em.

Silver Member

3 sold 1 left

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast