Thread: 3 gpus 1 rig woes.

Silver Member

3 gpus 1 rig woes.

Edit #2 Found out that the monitor wasn't actually plugged in to gtx 560, just the cable, oops. I've sinced turned the monitor on and setup dual display extended desktop. I haven't had to try to keep the card busy and in top state. Previous to this troubleshooting iteration I watched the card just shut down; boinc switched to another task, and didn't show anything waiting on it just waiting task and switched to a cpu task. the pstate went to 8 in gpu shark so i decided to turn on the monitor and found it wasn't even connected. I think i've solved my main problem. Now if i care enough about the igpu..probably not. It really cranks up the cpu temps. I checked gpu-z again both 750ti and 560 have cuda and direct compute checked now.

Edit 1: So after a reboot, I got both gtx gpus crunching, no intel gpu not too worried about that. Less than 15mins later i notice the tasks have switched, gpu 1 (gtx 560) is idle, pstate 8 (lowest), no load on it and theres a cpu app running. I opened up gpu-z and happened to notice that "cuda" and "direct compute" are not checked on the gtx 560 tab and they are on the 750ti. Is there something I should have done to my system to define how the 2nd gpu behaves? I don't like to ask for and be hand-held but I might need someone to point me to a dual gpu guide or faq or what have you.

First off Id like to mention I was crunching on the gtx 560 until it started getting to warm to crunch on my personal computer this past summer. My finances have become a bit more free'd up and I wanted to get a new GPU and monitor. I've decided to hold off on the new gpu and let the new maxwells hit the market and see what choices I have in their near future.

I did however buy a 750 ti in the mean time, and I'd like to say its pretty damn good for the price/power.

So when I got it immediately pulled the gtx 560 and made sure boinc played nice, it did and continued to use the hd 4000 igpu too. In the mean time I tried putting the gtx 560 into an older socket 939 opteron machine, which has problems. I've been struggling with MBR and HDD issues installing ubuntu. So i said screw it lets see what happens if I put them all in the same rig. First boot everything looked good except in boinc it said the gtx 560 was disabled or not used. found the use all gpu flag and changed that. But now my HD 4000 igpu says its missing according to boinc. In the past people would probably have mentioned a dummy plug or something but that doesn't seem to work. It seems like i've lost my intel graphics utility, i can't even find it on my computer. I did update my intel driver before all this, and if i remember right raised the performance rather well. I doubt this is tied to the recent driver update, but the fact that the machine now has 3 gpus.

I'm not losing sleep over this or anything, the igpu is rather inefficient compared to the other two. BUT the real problem, gpu work. I seem to rarely have gpu 0 and 1 going at the same time now. Im not sure if its a lack of work or if its the nature of CPU threads allowed (doing 2 atm), i've set it to 1 and 3 to see if more gpu apps would be run. Am i just chasing my tail? should I focus on this other machine to fix all my problems?
    Last edited by MindCrime; 11-03-14 at 05:12 PM.

Platinum Member

Re: 3 gpus 1 rig woes.

Have you checked BIOS to make sure the Intel iGPU isn't disabled in favor of your PCIe GPUs?