Single-Slot R9 295X2 on Steroids

Where's EmSti? He'd buy a couple of these at least

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FaNj7AodV1wAjg

Only 500 made. True single-slot.

11,601.920 GFLOPS FP32
    1,450.240 GFLOPS FP64

Silver Member

Re: Single-Slot R9 295X2 on Steroids

That issss a realllly nice card.My question is how many watts would a psu need to be to run 4 of them??

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    That issss a realllly nice card.My question is how many watts would a psu need to be to run 4 of them??
    If you can afford four of them, you can afford not to worry about the cost of the PSU or the power bill. I wish I could say that...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    Hmmm, about 500W each plus a good platform (i7-5630k) and a monster water pump and you're looking at around 2400 Watts... hope you have a 20amp circuit without as much as a cell phone charger plugged in to it!!

Basically, the equivalent of two toaster ovens or small space heaters.

Platinum Member

Well, even a 20 AMP circuit, de-rated to the commonly accepted "Max continuous draw" should only supply around 1900 Watts, so be ready to use 2 power supplies on two dedicated circuits.

Administrator

When we bought the house last year I had 2 25 amp circuits pulled into the "computer" room to compliment the 15A service that was already there I'm not stressing it yet

Platinum Member

lol If things go as I envision, I'm going to have 2 dedicated 30 AMP 2-pole (230 volt) circuits installed by EOY. To augment the pair of 20 AMP 1-pole (110 volt) I have today. Hey! Wait! It's a 100 AMP service to the house...

Thankfully, the electrician pointed out that I'm only currently consuming like 5.8 AMP's with the entire house today, and that's measured at the main panel, so 230 volt incoming. So I can run a lot more systems at home soon... Just need to plan on paying through the nose for power.

Platinum Member

About to upgrade my home's electricity supply as well. Currently my computer room and the spare bedroom share the same 15A circuit. I plan to change it so that each outlet in the computer room has its own 20A circuit. No more worries after that.

Silver Member

I had two thoughts on these cards; first their long term performance should be cut in half because if you live any closer than 48 deg. from the Equator you're going to either turn them off in the summer or spend a lot on AC.

Second: In the aquarium world they say a submerged electric water heater is 99.9% efficient, all energy consumed is converted to heat intentional (element) or not (components). I think Shandia is on to something, get 4 of them. Put them in different rooms, use all that waste heat, turn off the furnace, stay under 15 amps on 4 different circuits.

To answer Shandia; A single r9 290x is supposed to be a 290 watt tdp card. Which would probably call for a recommended 750w minimum PSU for that single card system. That 750w isn't going to scale linear but, the card in question is a dual gpu, it's water cooled (requires more power to cool), so if you truly wanted 4cards (8gpus) and wanted to run them appropriately (which probably wouldn't happen motherboard probably blow its mind) with all the water cooling radiator fans/pumps/controls, over 3000w required IMO. The current surge would be ridiculous, you'd have to probably ramp them up in succession.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 12-06-14 at 03:56 PM.