Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dual xeon build

Silver Member

dual xeon build

I've been interested in a dual cpu build for a while now and I think I've found the sweet spot for me, where performance meets the wallet and that's the x5650 area. I think a few active forum users have these in use. I'm getting near the point of buying and did as much research as I could think of. So in my mobo search it needed to be dual1366 and i wanted to have at least one pcie2.0+ slot, this is the best thing I came up with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191310694068 and the specs http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...00/X8DTi-F.cfm

That's a package, they also sell it broke down all the way to the mobo. They also sell it with cpus but i think I'll buy them separately for the savings. I asked the seller about the PSU it comes with, as I didn't think it had dual 8pin psu connectors but he tells me it does and has been tested with it. My big concern is unforeseen costs, it looks like ram isn't cheap for registered ecc, thats what I want right? Also if I need a lot, or else whats the point of 24 threads? I was thinking at least 24gbs (6x4gb), pretty sure the mobo manual said optimum is 3dimm + 3 dimm or 6 + 6 (triple channel?)?

Right now my unforeseen costs are RAM, ~150$?
    HDD: i might have something here. (SAS = scsi on sata connector?)
    GPU: i have a pcie2.0 gtx 560 that needs a home or this 270x
    Case: plywood if i have too
    Peripherals: have monitor,kb, mouse I don't think it has onboard audio.

Any experience or input would be greatly appreciated.

Diamond Member

Re: dual xeon build

I don't think you have to use ECC memory. If true, I would just get regular memory. Make sure you get at least 2gb per CPU thread.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

The key is "Registered." That's what says "Server RAM" right there, and that's what makes it more expensive. I don't think I've ever run across Registered RAM that wasn't also ECC. And I also doubt that, if you did hunt it down, that it'd be less expensive than the more popular ECC Registered RAM found in most Servers from that era. Also, going to that Unbuffered RAM may be more cost effective, but again, because it was a rarely used option (as far as I ever saw) there's not gonna be tons of it available because there wasn't enough demand to have created an inventory for aftermarket like this.

So MindCrime, this won't just be a cruncher? Only reason to have Sound I'd think.

Also, where did you get SAS from? The both link specs only indicate SATA. SAS actually stands for Serial Attached SCSI and is pin compatible with SATA, but the controller must support it. For example, most of the HP RAID controllers will work with either SAS or SATA drives, you just can't have both types on the same bus at once. Basically, SAS evolved from SCSI whereas SATA evolved from ATA/IDE.

Silver Member

I'd be happy to use regular, non ecc/registered ram. Especially if I should use 2GBs per thread, that's 48gb. Any input on sourcing ddr3 ~1300mhz in that size... six x 8gbs or twelve x 4gbs?

It's pretty much going to be a workstation that will crunch, capable but rarely used for anything too demanding other than crunching. Since this thread started I was steered toward the dell t5500s which are pretty much the hardware I want all wrapped up. And putting things in the price range I want. Much appreciated for the heads-up.

The SAS thing was me thinking about these unknown drives I have in a box somewhere. I thought they were SAS drives but they are Sata 1.5gbs... probably staying in the box.

Update: been doing some browsing any I'm leaning toward one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/121474655596 adding lots of non-ecc ram, and adding whichever gpu plays best, gtx 750ti, gtx 560, or r9 270x.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 12-06-14 at 07:15 PM.

Platinum Member

Just keep in mind. Registered memory is a unique beast. You can't use any old DDR3 DIMMs in there. They must state that they are "Registered." Registered memory has the key "notch" in a different spot than normal DDR3 DIMMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Compatibility

Usually the motherboard must match the memory type: registered memory will not work in a motherboard not designed for it, and vice-versa.

Diamond Member

You can get by with just 1gb per thread. But just know there are a handful of projects that need more. For those you could either limit the number of tasks, or turn off hyper threading. For me, I always go with 2gb so I don't have to worry about it. It also helps with running multiple VMs at the same time.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

You can only use registered ECC RAM with the Dell T5500. 72GB limit (9 slots) if you have the riser card for the 2nd CPU. 48GB (6 slots) without it. That's right, you only get 3 RAM slots for the 2nd CPU (lolDell). Also your GPUs are limited to 150W and it's quite likely you may only be able to use Quadro/Firepro/FireMV/Tesla GPUs, not the standard ones.

Though as a bonus, it does have audio on-board

Administrator

I was looking a couple of days ago on Ebay and there was a listing for 24G of DDR3 ECC memory for $150. 6 sticks IIRC. The memory was for a T5500.

Gold Member

My T5500 has 36Gb RAM, I've rarely wanted more - but then I don't run VMs. But it has two x16 PCIe slots and I've used everything from dual 5850s to a 7950 + 7790 with no problems. Not an elegant rig, but gets the job done

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    My T5500 has 36Gb RAM, I've rarely wanted more - but then I don't run VMs. But it has two x16 PCIe slots and I've used everything from dual 5850s to a 7950 + 7790 with no problems. Not an elegant rig, but gets the job done
    Good to know. I guess Dell just didn't bother updating their compatibility list, or they didn't want to associate their server with "common" GPUs to appear more professional.

loldell.JPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast