Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD missing 100G

Administrator

HDD missing 100G

NEVER MIND -- I found it

I've never had a computer with 48G of memory before. It is reserving 96G for the PageFile. I doubt I will ever be swapping out to disc with that amount of memory

PROBLEM SOLVED
    I got the new server, installed Win7 and all the updates, got BOINC and my other stuff installed, and then went to install Vbox. The new machine has a 250G drive and I noticed that I only had 120G remaining on the drive. Win7 takes up some disc space but 100G+ is ridiculous. So I assumed since this was a drive used in the server way back when that it might have had a partition that I didn't catch at installation. So I reinstalled Win7 making sure that I deleted the HDD partitions as part of the installation. It installed fine but I only had 130G remaining on the drive.

So I check the BIOS settings and everything looks fine. I take a brand spanking new 1TB drive and stick in it. After installation it has 833G left on the drive ... 100G is gone. I go into disk management and it shows 2 partitions as it should ... 100Mb for the OS and 900+ in the 2nd partitions. It also show only 833Mb available. I go in and check the properties of each root directory and they add up to about 25G. So where the heck is the 100G going to and what is on it?

I don't have a clue as to what is going on. Obviously 833G is probably enough to handle BOINC but I really want to know what is happening

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm guessing that somehow the Windows installation files and upgrade files (1Gb) are expanded on the disc and not getting erased. Since the Windows directory only shows 25Gb used I don't where to find them or how to get rid of them if that is the problem.

BTW, "disk cleanup" of the system update files bought 1G.
    Last edited by Bryan; 12-13-14 at 06:11 PM.

Platinum Member

Re: HDD missing 100G

Do you have a Windows.old directory? If you do (probably won't apply to the new HDD), all the files from prior installations of Windows get held up in there. When I had tons of missing space on a drive that was where I found it a while back...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Do you have a Windows.old directory? If you do (probably won't apply to the new HDD), all the files from prior installations of Windows get held up in there. When I had tons of missing space on a drive that was where I found it a while back...
    nope

Diamond Member

When I install any new OS, I close the windows and the doors for the bytes not to run away, good luck on that one Bryan.

Duke's Bad Jokes.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

Simple explanation: loldell

How much free space were on the drives after they were formatted, but before any OS installation?

Edit: Nevermind i see you figured it out. Grats

Past Administrator

You know how to delete that file, right? You *really* don't need it - follow these simple steps and get it back! http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-hiberfil-sys/

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    You know how to delete that file, right? You *really* don't need it - follow these simple steps and get it back! http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-hiberfil-sys/

That is actually a different file. It is always the size of you memory - 48G and I was taking that into account. The 100G (actually 96G) that was missing is the swapfile or aka pagefile. It is a file on the HDD used as Virtual Memory. If a program exceeds the size of physical memory it will start using the HDD as virtual memory. It is slow as can be but it will keep the program from crashing

Silver Member

Slightly off topic; can I ask why you went with win 7 for a VM machine? I've honestly been slacking on my vm research but did do a little reading on Xen for linux, sounds complicated but I figure when the machine is in front of my I'll do what ever it takes to get it running. Maybe I should consider buying a t5500 with a windows license?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Slightly off topic; can I ask why you went with win 7 for a VM machine? I've honestly been slacking on my vm research but did do a little reading on Xen for linux, sounds complicated but I figure when the machine is in front of my I'll do what ever it takes to get it running. Maybe I should consider buying a t5500 with a windows license?
    It is actually a Win7 machine but I was getting ready to install Linux Mint inside of Virtual Box. That way I can run Linux when I need to do so. There are some projects that give higher credits on Linux than Windows (Edges/Sztaki) and some that are Linux only (Wanless/EON). I just happened to notice that a lot of the HDD was used while I was installing Virtual Box.

Gold Member

is there more than one Eon project? would it run on windows at one time? I have over a million credits on it but got them running windows??? http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...oj=eon2&team=1 I don't remember seeing any work there for a while.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast