Thread: Disabling OpenCL on Moo

Platinum Member

Disabling OpenCL on Moo

Anyone know how to disable the opencl WUs on Moo? For some reason, they crash this crappy little card I'm running it on (for hours). The ati WUs work just fine...

Diamond Member

Re: Disabling OpenCL on Moo

You could use an app_info.xml to force the app version.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    You could use an app_info.xml to force the app version.
    Damn. I was afraid of that. Sounds like more work than I'm willing to invest on a project I'm solely running for hours right now.

Silver Member

Did you ever get this fixed? I have a R9 270x that I would like to try on Moo.

Gold Member

Older GPUs and AMD APUs certainly seem to be more productive with the stream app. I stumbled into a solution for this on one of my rigs, but I am not sure if I could do it again. I installed an AMD card, then ran Driver Sweeper on the old Nvidia drivers, which removed the openCL driver. Now Moo runs the ATI app, but if I want to run any other GPU projects I'll have to reinstall the AMD drivers to restore openCL.

Your 270x should run fine under the new app, though. Have you tried it?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Did you ever get this fixed? I have a R9 270x that I would like to try on Moo.
    I didn't - after aborting every OpenCL WU I got for a while, I just stopped getting them. Not sure why, but I didn't complain too much.

Silver Member

i have up to date drivers and no overclock or anything special on the 270x. it ran solo collatz in about 31 mins but i wanted to work on some other gpu projects, and collatz has been down. So i moved onto MOO, which i have run without problem on a 750ti and 560gtx. Both of which have previously been installed on this machine and I never ran any particular driver sweep. This is the only project that the ati card has problems with, that i run. They nearly instantly error out and start a new WU and continues until boinc backsoff updates.

I have reset the project and rejoined. I've also tried a modified app that also errorred out but with a bit different behavior. I honestly haven't worked on this issue since asking about your status a few days ago. I have the 560 and the 750 working on it on/off so not a high priority for me.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    i have up to date drivers and no overclock or anything special on the 270x. it ran solo collatz in about 31 mins but i wanted to work on some other gpu projects, and collatz has been down. So i moved onto MOO, which i have run without problem on a 750ti and 560gtx. Both of which have previously been installed on this machine and I never ran any particular driver sweep. This is the only project that the ati card has problems with, that i run. They nearly instantly error out and start a new WU and continues until boinc backsoff updates.

I have reset the project and rejoined. I've also tried a modified app that also errorred out but with a bit different behavior. I honestly haven't worked on this issue since asking about your status a few days ago. I have the 560 and the 750 working on it on/off so not a high priority for me.
    I would run Display Driver Uninstaller on both Nvidia and AMD drivers, then install an earlier version of Catalyst. My HD 7790 prefers 13.4 or 13.12 for some projects but works fine with latest drivers on others. If that doesn't work, it isn't unheard of to have a card that just doesn't get along with a certain project. Good luck!