Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Past Administrator

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Yeah, I would agree with that for the most part - but we're talking how many AIO water coolers out there now compared to custom loops? The custom loops if designed correctly should last a long time - but how many will ever put the $ and time into one? Yes, F$, you are a MAJOR exception, my friend! By the way, great to see you back!
    Thx DP, it's good to be on again.

Yes, custom loops can cost more but remember, that cost allows for greater flexability, styling and they are serviceable . Almost all AIOs are throw away designs with exceptions from Swiftech, Cooler Master and a few others.

Personally for me the biggest advantage with custom loops is that you can WC more then just the CPU. WC a GPU, for example, allows you to OC more while also extending the useful llife
    os said GPU. So, a well designed WC setup can pay for itself in the long run.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Not so much an upgrade but a lesson learned and improved temporary functionality.

So for the past week I've been using xfinity wifi as my only internet connection. For those who have the luxury of not knowing what it is... comcast routers broadcast a second network under the SSID of xfinity. So my neighbors to the right and left each have comcast routers so I have two xfinity sources, the signal is great. If you're a comcast/xfinity internet customer with a great than 25Mbps plan you get access to the xfinity wifi. Now, you can't log into it from a PC, it somehow knows via MAC address or something so my phone has been my router.

So for the past 6ish days I was basically bunkering BOINC work as I plugged my phone into each 1 and engaged the tether (wish it could go on by default), it was tedious and annoying. Today I tried to find a way to spread the love. After a few hours of dabbling and dead ends, (microsofts ICS ((internet connection sharing does not work with a tethered connection), but what none of the articles I read mentioned and I eventually tried you can bridge the LAN connection to the "tethered connection" but I hadn't figured it all out yet, couldn't get an internet connection from the other computers that were plugged into the same router (acting as hub) so then i said what if i pluged the bridged connection into the "internet" jack on the dd-wrt router and bam...

OnePlusOne..best phone ever, i think i got it for 175 bucks with 64gb, unlocked, cyanogenmod (looks like they're up to 300 bucks) I feel bad for those people who drop 700 bucks at the Verizon store on a new phone.

Administrator

I started getting prepared for my (sometime in the future) upgrade to GigaPower U-Verse. Last week I pulled Cat6 cable throughout the house and last night I upgraded my 16 port 10/100 Network switch to a 16 port Netgear ProSafe GS116 Gigabit switch. I also wanted to relive the good old days and I couldn't resist the price of $61 for a HD 5970, so I installed that this morning next to a GTX 570...old school! I may not be able to keep up with you guys/girls and your newest ATI and NV hardware, but I can burn more electricity than you can! Both are comfortably crunching away.

Edit: I'm kinda having run today. After the above I found a 7750 sitting unused (actually 2) and I managed to hook one up and get it crunching. I had to use a x1 slot, 1-x1 ribbon cable and 1-x16 ribbon cable, but it's crunching Collatz. I'd post a picture, but it's a bit embarrassing. Hmmm...now the other 7750 needs a home...what kind of mess can I create now?
    Last edited by Al; 01-21-16 at 04:08 PM.

Silver Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453439284.174064.jpg

Two 16 thread motherboards liquid cooling. Yes I fear the liquid!

Budget build though. Picture 6 boards in an aluminum case

HF

Gold Member

Just put together a P5k SE with a Q6700 to play with. Installed the GTX 750 and 4 GB of memory. Now I am installing Linux Mint ver. 17.3. I have never worked witth Linux so it will be fun trying to get everything working.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers... Seems to have knocked off 9 min on a work unit from 50 min work unit on Moo.... Now 41 min. Ill take that!

Yes indeed! (where is that damn happy smiley face icon?)

Gold Member

I got the Q6700 up and running CPU tasks on it but I cannot get the GPU to run on the Linux Mint. I have installed the Nvidia drivers but do I need to install something into the Boinc folder or somewhere else to gt the GTX 750 running?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I got the Q6700 up and running CPU tasks on it but I cannot get the GPU to run on the Linux Mint. I have installed the Nvidia drivers but do I need to install something into the Boinc folder or somewhere else to gt the GTX 750 running?
    Nope. If you did a standard install of both it should be good to go. The Linux Nvidia driver install can be pretty picky if you don't do it exactly right; so my best guess is something went wrong there. Did you use the official Nvidia driver from their site or the one the distribution recommended? The distribution ones are often generic drivers and don't include extras such as CUDA.
    Last edited by Aux10; 01-30-16 at 03:13 PM.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I would have to disagree, at least in part. AIO units are prone to leaking because they are massed produced products. (One exception would be Swiftech's AIO units. They have a much higher level of QC.) Now custom loops WC setups are an entirely different animal. The ONLY time one will leak is if the owner selected cheap parts and/or did not take time to ensure a proper installation. I currently have 2 rigs with custom WC setups and have never had a leak issue. My gaming rig has had 3 different WC setups (x1 Swiftech AIO & x2 custom loops) with two different WC GPUs.

ill have to have u guys help me pick out what to use on my setup once i find a pair of waterblocks to fit my powercolor r9 280x's
    right now its got a basic magicool 360 kit on just the cpu witht he tubing and compression fittings that came with the kit , the tubing was way to stiff to make nice so i decided im going to get acrylic tubing and make it all nice .

i just have no idea on what brands of fittings and tubing i should be buying
    currently im also using primochill uv blue cooling fluid
    this is before i installed the dual 280x's and the rm1000 psu

i do regret not buying the kit with the 460 rad , cause at the time i thought i was going to buy an r9 295x which came with its own radiator so by getting the 360 it would have let e fit it

and huge difference over my evo 212 , with the evo i was able to get 4.7ghz stable now im up a touch over 5ghz

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    Nope. If you did a standard install of both it should be good to go. The Nvidia driver install can be pretty picky if you don't do it exactly right. My best guess is something went wrong there. Did you use the actual Nvidia driver or the one the distribution recommended? The distribution ones are often generic drivers.
    I tried to do it right from the install manager with the Nvidia driver but got a message saying it couldn't open so I too the recommended one.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast