Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Silver Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Does trying to upgrade/repair qualify? I went ahead and bought a replacement cooler for one of the 5850s today. No tape in package. no problem. Cement for ram heat sinks is cured in tube.That's a problem. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement for the cement or any suggestions in general?It's an arctic accelero l2 plus cooler. I'm so tempted to just Frankenstein with the original heat sink.Really want to keep it as it should be installed.

Silver Member

Since I'm dragging my feet about going to Micro Center for good adhesive for the gpu ram heat sinks due to wanting todo all my shopping in just one more trip, I did the unthinkable. I modded the cover of ONE of my cards to get another computer
    bunkering for the pentathlon. I would be hoping it's better than nothing.....but that's what it had when I powered the system on last time......;-) I will say, I hope it holds until after the pentathlon. I will have the stuff to do the second card here in a couple of days. I will also test to see which way cools better. The stock heat sink with the nice big copper plate.seems so much better than the replacement We will see how this goes.Onto installing it and powering up to finish those Windows updates! Oh yeah......and start that bunker!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shandia; 05-02-15 at 03:06 AM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    Does trying to upgrade/repair qualify? I went ahead and bought a replacement cooler for one of the 5850s today. No tape in package. no problem. Cement for ram heat sinks is cured in tube.That's a problem. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement for the cement or any suggestions in general?It's an arctic accelero l2 plus cooler. I'm so tempted to just Frankenstein with the original heat sink.Really want to keep it as it should be installed.
    The original version of the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II was a great cooler for ATI/AMD cards. Version 2 now comes with some gawd awful backplate/heatsink that you may be able to ditch but I'm not sure on that. Also v2 cost about 50% more then the original.

Edit: I just checked and v1 is available again. Best price is on Amazon --> http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Acceler.../dp/B005FYCFG8

Now to answer your question...

Tape
    1st Choice: 3M 8815 thermal transfer tape. One source for it (Here)
    2nd Choice: Sekisui 5760 Thermal Adhesive Tape. Check eBay for suppliers.

Adhesive
    For thermal transfer adhesives, use Arctic Silver's stuff. They make to kinds, one contains silver p/n: ASTA-7G (Link) and the other contains alumina p/n: AATA-5G (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Ok, this is what I plan to do. I'm taking the second kit back. If the adhesive was cured in the first package,i suspect the second is the same. Have no idea if the tape is missing from the second package or not. I'll be getting thestuff F$ suggested and buying a $3.99 fan for this card. It just seems silly to pay $20 for just a fan to hot glue to the face of a card. I'll clean up this fan and re-assemble the second card that is totally pulled apart and cleaned. I was looking at different coolers for the hd5850 in an attempt to find a couple of water blocks. Last year I did find one or two.This year, they seem to have gone the way of the dodo. Anyway, With the mild savings I'll be getting from taking the second one back, I'll be picking up a uber cheap socket 1150 mobo. Going grocery shopping last night almost did me in. Eat and be happy with what I have going currently or crunch and be cranky for a few weeks. The cpu is sitting in the apartment complex's office until Tuesday. Nothing I can do about that. So my shopping trip has been put off until Wed at the earliest. Plenty of time to change my mind on things before then. (and plenty of time to spend my money on shoes instead of saving and waiting)

Platinum Member

Electrician finished up my house yesterday. 200A main breaker, 4 dedicated computer circuits, a 200A main principal and enough juice to eventually add a couple more computers

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Electrician finished up my house yesterday. 200A main breaker, 4 dedicated computer circuits, a 200A main principal and enough juice to eventually add a couple more computers
    Woo Hoo! CONGRATS!!! The badly needed work is done. Hopefully no more tripped breakers. My house in Mesquite was a mess. Many times electricians don't think when they wire a house. Then again,most homes before the 80's a microwave was not a common thing to have......neither was a computer network. The newer houses aren't much better with the wall sockets with breakers in them. Really!?!? You want me to plug in a 1000w curling iron and 1500w hairdrier into that!?!?! I can just imagine the Einstein who thought a breaker in the electrical socket was a good idea. "It's for the safety being near water and pipes!"(AND now more often than not it's city code.) Funny that most of our more powerful appliances are usually near water and pipes. Things that sound good on paper are often tried but rarely ever challenged in the real world. I hope your dedicated computer circuits will be enough and the overall planning of the rest of the re-wire job was thought out..
    Last edited by Shandia; 05-03-15 at 06:36 AM.

Past Administrator

This is sorta old news about my WC gaming rig. After the 7970 install I posted on 04.19.2015, I realized that the Swiftech Apogee Drive II pump was making too much noise. I believe that running the pump at full speed constantly was causing the water to cavitate around the impeller. So in July I upgraded to a Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock and D5 pump.

Anyhoot this is probably the last WC upgrade I will make on this rig until Intel's next die shrink.

Crunch On!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Nice! I love the purple tubing.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Nice plumbing job... bet that keeps things cool...

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Silver Member

Here is an epic failure! I managed to squeeze everything I wanted into my HP case. The biggest problem? With the side on, there is no air flow what so ever even with all the fans. The gpu is probably what is suffering the most since my 5850s are now 3 slots wide and that puts the fan against the bottom of the case. The mobo, large cpu cooler, over sized psu with front to back airflow and the gpu have all been traded out. No pics of the finished product yet since I have to do surgery to the gigabyte board.2015-10-20 07.25.47.jpg

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast