Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your very first....... Computer.

Silver Member

Re: Your very first....... Computer.

I know our family's first computer was an IBM 486DX/2 but I have no clue on the specs or cost. Dad will have to chime in there.

My personal first computer was actually a gift from my parents after my d-bag (keepin pg there) roommate freshman year was letting me share his computer and then once something went wrong immediately blamed me and pw protected everything and always locked his computer (what I wouldn't give to have had ophcrack back then...). It was a Compaq (have no clue on the model) but 800mhz Pentium 3, 128mb SD RAM (which I quickly upgraded and continued to do so until I ended up with 768Mb), originally 40GB HD but HD crapped out and got a 80GB), added a 128Mb ATI 9600 All-In-Wonder (eventually replaced with a 256mb Geforce FX 5700), originally 150w power supply (stupid compaq) that fried out when adding a couple case fans (stupid awake on network connection bios setting).

I used to play Counter-Strike and get the same if not better FPS than guys in my CS Clan that had P4's with 512mb RAM and an ok video card. That was one of the things that made me happiest about this PC.

This computer was still up and running prior to my father purchasing an Atom board and needing a case to put it. I had a picture on the old forums of the Atom but not here with me to post now.

PLEASE, Commodore, Vic - 20, Atari 400, Heathkit, programs were on tape. Who has me beat?

I am right in there with Patrick, I had and Apple ][+, and we used a tape drive (well a cassette recorder actually) with that until we upgraded to 5.25 floppies

Platinum Member

The IBM Jason was speaking of cost about $2,700, but came with a daisy wheel printer. Was able to upgrade it from the DX2/50 to a DX2/66 MHZ system. Don't remember the original RAM configuration, but it is still in the closet and I can pull up the upgraded Windows 95 whenever I want.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Persch, Patrick J. View Post
    PLEASE, Commodore, Vic - 20, Atari 400, Heathkit, programs were on tape. Who has me beat?
    You can't beat that. I'm tied with you there. Heathkit do-it-yourself kits were awesome back then. And the Vic 20, makes me miss Zork. I do NOT miss having to buy gaming magazines and type in page after page of numbers to play a game though. After hours of all that typing, just to find out there was 1 number somewhere in that whole mess that wasn't right ...yeah, those were the days.

Cappy

lol still have it in the basement,,, Aplle II c lol.... still have the monitor and all

prolly dont work,, basement kinda damp ..... but the printer and all is dpwn there..

big boxs of paper with perferated sides and punch holes so the feeder could move the paper lol... the printer was 3 times bigger then the computer

Advisor - Stateside Division

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You can't beat that. I'm tied with you there. Heathkit do-it-yourself kits were awesome back then. And the Vic 20, makes me miss Zork. I do NOT miss having to buy gaming magazines and type in page after page of numbers to play a game though. After hours of all that typing, just to find out there was 1 number somewhere in that whole mess that wasn't right ...yeah, those were the days.
    No kidding, I typed in tons of those programs back in the day, including one in machine code! IIRC, though that may have been on the Atari XL

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Persch, Patrick J. View Post
    I wanted a Vic-20, but we couldn't afford it. I eventually did get an Atari 400, but after it was old and obsolete. I knew enough 'Basic' to put a bunch of random squares or circles on the screen.

My first real computer was a 486 a friend put together for me. $200 for 8 Megs of Ram. That was in '94.
    6r39 7r199

Atari 130XE, an Atari with 128k ram and a dedicated graphic + sound chip. Learned 6502, basic and a handful of languages that don't exist anymore

It needed a cassette recorder to save/load programs which failed half the time.

I miss that old boy, had a lot of fun with it

Administrator

My 1st machine was an IMSAI 8080 that I bought for Christmas in 1975. A couple of years later I "upgraded" to a Vic 20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast