Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual CPU T5500

Gold Member

Re: Dual CPU T5500

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The problem is how to mount 2 120mm fans in that little case.
    Not sure, but I think a hacksaw might be involved

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Not sure, but I think a hacksaw might be involved
    Yep, I don't think a bigger hammer is going to help

Silver Member

The riser card on the t5500 socket is going to be hard to work with. The voltage regulators or whatever they're called are very tall and very close to the cpu itself. Making a lot of the brackets incompatible but otherwise should work besides other physical dimensions.

Also on the t5500 my motherboard reports the primary as cpu2 when the riser is installed. I verified this by pulling the riser card and booting with just 1 cpu. My temps climbed to the low 80s just as cpu2 would have shown if it were installed. Basically it looks like the riser card cpu reports as cpu 1 (or cpu0 in some apps) but either way as what we would think is the first or primary.

So i found it was actually the big passive heatsink on the primary cpu that is the hot one. Rather than find a permanent solution after chasing my tail for a few days I just rested a 90mm fan with a molex connector on the bottom of the case right in front of the cpu and behind the intake fan. My temps are now all in the low 70s or high 60s all all cores when running 90% load sustained for weeks.

I looked up the service tag on the t5500 i got off ebay. Originally it had e5520s in it. I have no idea what kind of cooling solutions each came with but I wouldn't be surprised if these IT offlease resellers pop and swap parts without considering the TDP of each different cpu. I would think an 80w CPU such as the x5650 would need more than a passive aluminum heatsink. The x5670 is a 95w CPU.

This is the heatsink on my primary CPU: https://www.splusdirect.com/media/ca...21f-image1.jpg

The next option is the U016f: http://goo.gl/9HPTkK

And this last one I think is for the t7500 case/plastic stuff but should attach just fine in a t5500 case if the ducting is removed, possibly HD tray collision? : http://goo.gl/gcXHZn

These are all for the primary CPU. I thought the 2nd heatsink was pathetic too but it's not too bad. I did remove the shroud and remounted the stock fan flush because the shroud gave it a nice big gap and i know a axial fan doesn't create much pressure so I got it snug. I also remounted with arctic silver mx-2. I don't recall remounting the primary cpu at all.

I'd love to have an AIO cooler like an h50 in hand to check out the mounting hardware. Wouldn't take long to see about clearances. If i recall on my h100 on a socket 1155 it had a ring with teeth on the ID to fit in the grooves around the pump head. I suspect this ring would collide with the Voltage regulators around the cpu, but that was the riser cpu. I haven't noted their position on the primary.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 03-12-15 at 04:35 PM.

Gold Member

I installed the High-Performance Dell Heat Sink on my T5500 with X5670s and it had a drastic effect on the onboard CPU temps. They went from 80-83C to about 68C. As a consequence, with more heat dumping towards the riser CPU - those temps are up from 70-73C to 75-77C. Overall I am seeing improved performance - both CPUs seem to remain at higher turbo speeds than before, especially the onboard CPU. I also installed an 80mm exhuast fan at the lower rear of the case. This doesn't seem to affect CPU temp but keeps heat away from the GPU and PSU above. I'd say for the T5500, if you want a modest performance increase and better airflow, the upgraded heatsink and added exhaust fan(s) are the way to go.

Administrator

So which heatsink did you use? The U016F?
    Last edited by Al; 03-21-15 at 04:56 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    So which heatsink did you use? The U016F?
    That's the one. I think cleaning the CPU and using some good quality thermal compound was probably worth a few degrees.

Administrator

Though I'm not overly concerned the temps now, summer is coming to NC. Temp drops like that deserve a second look. Thanks for posting your results.

Silver Member

Glad someone tried another heatsink, and I'm glad it's working. I used two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999199 for the exhausts. They fit perfectly and are pretty much silent. The price says 50 bucks when i click the link now but I want to say they were like 6-7 bucks each when i ordered. Try looking elsewhere if you are interested in them. The reviews speak very highly of them. I also appreciate that they were designed to have the blades removed for easy cleaning (good bearing setup).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12