Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WUProp: Bug in version 2.36 for Windows

Diamond Member

WUProp: Bug in version 2.36 for Windows

There is a bug in the version 2.36 for Windows. The application slows down or blocks the network. You should abort the workunit if you run this version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

More...

Re: WUProp: Bug in version 2.36 for Windows

I got bit by this one.
    Came home after work last night to find my network down. Just figured it was my router as I had some issues with it last month. Re-booted the router & nada, no machines could access the gateway & internal network communications spotty at best. Re-enabling the network adapters made no difference had to re-boot the machines to get back to normal.
    Got up about an hour ago to find the network down again.
    Couldn't even get to the net by connecting my main box directly to the MODEM, had to re-boot the machine to get the network up.
    Getting that "Oh No!" feeling I was ready to start searching boxen for a virus or Trojan but then wondered "could it be a BOINC project?"
    Logging onto the boards I found this thread. BINGO! Setting WUProp to NNW and aborting work for that project on all machines brought the network and all machines back to normal operation.

Platinum Member

Wow, DrBob...

I did notice that they misspelled "bug" in the first post. It's actually spelled "colossal f*** up".

Platinum Member

How dangerous is this? Reason I ask is that my work boxes have been acting screwy connecting to our network. Would it affect the network here? They say to abort the WU, but if the problem is in the program, wouldn't be better to just shut the program down?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

It got me too, was wondering why wu's were bunkering. aborted on all machines and ver 2.37 took its place.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    How dangerous is this? Reason I ask is that my work boxes have been acting screwy connecting to our network. Would it affect the network here? They say to abort the WU, but if the problem is in the program, wouldn't be better to just shut the program down?
    They have already updated the app so no worries. And yes any machine running the buggy app would have been affected.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Advisor - Stateside Division

Hit me too and does have me worried, what can they possibly have done to hijack the networking ? Surely BOINC permissions should not allow anything like that ? I did some debugging, though windows is not my forte Ended up disabling ipv6 completely in the registry, disabling some vmware connections I didn't realise I had etc etc.

It seemed to be just #$%#$%ing up port 80 as I could ping and traceroute ok, but I tried a telnet on port 80 to my webserver that failed.

I've asked on their boards for a little clarification, suggest others do too.. I WANT to know just exactly what it did.

Platinum Member

Took me a while to get back in here, since the program was screwing up my Internet connection. I would like to know what this thing was doing? Glad I have shrunk my farm here to only my department. If this got reported to IT, it would have been my ASS. Aborted on almost all machines now. This thing was doing some real oddball things here as far as blocking access to servers where databases were kept. Also network based programs were intermitant at best. Here I thought it was the LAN Nazis at work again. That was close.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Diamond Member

Crap! I ordered a new router yesterday because of this!!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Dang... This is why i couldnt check my e-mail this morning.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast