Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye ole' trusty

Platinum Member

Arrow Goodbye ole' trusty

Just a good bye to one of the most stable machines I have ever used. My office machine was replaced in a big way, but I will miss my durable machine of 3 years, it never let me down and would crunch day and night with out slip ups.

Old trusty: c1d32661cb9a51e3e019d86e06453502
    i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz [Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9] Quad core
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500|1|1624MB|
    8 gig ram

New Friend: de83de96f5fa706ff90c3eb444232b59
    Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Quadro K620|1|2048MB|
    8 gig ram

On the surface, after only 2 hours with the new machine with BOINC rolling, I like the cpu so far. It doesn't seem faster (too early to tell), but it has double the CPU capacity. It is nice to have a decent GPU at the office for once. Before my old trusty was limited to just Einstein and SETI GPU work. My only worry is the same amount of RAM, that was already very taxed running 4 NFS WU's for example, will be really maxed with 8 NFS WU's going. Either way, so long ole' trusty i3, hello more credit return.

Administrator

Re: Goodbye ole' trusty

Congrats on the new machine ... I'm sure you will be very happy with it when you move to something requiring a little less memory

Platinum Member

How is this GPU (Quadro K620|1|2048MB) overall? Suggestions on which project it would be most suited for? I am going to check out the specs now.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    How is this GPU (Quadro K620|1|2048MB) overall? Suggestions on which project it would be most suited for? I am going to check out the specs now.
    Great rig! Nothing wrong with sneaking a few extra Gbs of RAM into a work computer, right?

Comparing the K620 specs to the GeForce lineup, looks like it is in the same family with GTX 750/750Ti. I'd expect it to do a little better than half the production of a 750Ti. It should do well on Collatz and PrimeGrid, I'd definitely try it out on Einstein, and of course it will produce a few points a day on SETI

Past Admin

Congrats on the new family member. May she bring you much joy and cobblestones.

Silver Member

These sound like they would be HP z220/230 or similar brand line of SFF terminal/workstation.

I see the k620 uses a GM107 core, like FourOh said it's used elsewhere. It's actually a chopped down GTX 750, the same as a GTX 745 (i think OEM card) the following is liberated from wikipedia

There are essentially three different GM107 cores the biggest with 640 cores, the next has 512 and the last has 384. The gtx 750ti comes with the 640 cores as well as the Quadro k2200, the Quadro k1200 and the gtx 750 have 512 cores and the gtx 745 and quadro k620 have 384 cores. Also worth noting is its ddr3 ram on the smaller cores. It is double precision capable but I think it's performance will be pitiful as I think the single to double precision ratio on all maxwells is 1/16

My 750ti's can do about 128k-192k each a day on GPU grid running the LONG WUs that take about 18-19 hours each. I haven't dabbled with them much or enough to compare results project to project but some projects absolutely suck on them, pretty sure milkway was pathetic. MooWrapper is about 4x slower than a 270x in credit output.

Yeah I've been beating on them but here's the catch, they're near silent. Very low heat, highest core temp i saw on one is 63c, usually see around mid 50s. Low power, usually require no PCIE power cable. Also I can watch Netflix, browse web, watch movies (VLC) while its crunching without any choppiness or hesitation, maybe certain projects but I can't recall. They're good cards.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 12-02-15 at 04:43 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Great rig! Nothing wrong with sneaking a few extra Gbs of RAM into a work computer, right?

Comparing the K620 specs to the GeForce lineup, looks like it is in the same family with GTX 750/750Ti. I'd expect it to do a little better than half the production of a 750Ti. It should do well on Collatz and PrimeGrid, I'd definitely try it out on Einstein, and of course it will produce a few points a day on SETI
    Haha, yeah, I need another 8gig stick to handle the load of the heavier projects. Thanks for checking on the card, its on PG and Einstein now. It didn't seem to like the Asteroids GPU WU along side 8 long run time PG CPU WU's.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    These sound like they would be HP z220/230 or similar brand line of SFF terminal/workstation.

I see the k620 uses a GM107 core, like FourOh said it's used elsewhere. It's actually a chopped down GTX 750, the same as a GTX 745 (i think OEM card) the following is liberated from wikipedia

There are essentially three different GM107 cores the biggest with 640 cores, the next has 512 and the last has 384. The gtx 750ti comes with the 640 cores as well as the Quadro k2200, the Quadro k1200 and the gtx 750 have 512 cores and the gtx 745 and quadro k620 have 384 cores. Also worth noting is its ddr3 ram on the smaller cores. It is double precision capable but I think it's performance will be pitiful as I think the single to double precision ratio on all maxwells is 1/16

My 750ti's can do about 128k-192k each a day on GPU grid running the LONG WUs that take about 18-19 hours each. I haven't dabbled with them much or enough to compare results project to project but some projects absolutely suck on them, pretty sure milkway was pathetic. MooWrapper is about 4x slower than a 270x in credit output.

Yeah I've been beating on them but here's the catch, they're near silent. Very low heat, highest core temp i saw on one is 63c, usually see around mid 50s. Low power, usually require no PCIE power cable. Also I can watch Netflix, browse web, watch movies (VLC) while its crunching without any choppiness or hesitation, maybe certain projects but I can't recall. They're good cards.
    Thanks for all the detailed info. When you mention double precision, should I throw it on MW soon? I have also noticed, this is the quietest machine I have used. Even the PSU fans on my old Xp 2.53ghz with a GT430 (no fan) is louder than this box. Downloading Afterburner now to see what more can be cranked up.

Silver Member

I think it would be very slow on milkyway but I love to be surprised.
    Its the entry level workstation card. Meaning it has all the requirements and approved to run autobench/cad stuff. Its got all the tricks just not very fast at any particular one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I think it would be very slow on milkyway but I love to be surprised.
    Its the entry level workstation card. Meaning it has all the requirements and approved to run autobench/cad stuff. Its got all the tricks just not very fast at any particular one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the info. The majority of the time, I am using AutoCAD at the office, so that's good to hear about the card. I'll try some MW after it churns through all this PG and Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast