Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth Waiting for Skylake?

Silver Member

Worth Waiting for Skylake?

I'm planing to start a new build since it's been five years since I built my current rig and I was wondering: would waiting for the 6th gen Skylake processors be worth it? Also I heard that they're only making it in the watered down S series, is that true?
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Silver Member

Re: Worth Waiting for Skylake?

Broadwell desktops cpus will still be on socket 1150 and skylake should be on 1151. If that helps you make any decisions. I like the idea of having a socket with more to come. Usually intel will keep the same socket for the following "tock" update. If any of this anecdotal opinion is wrong please correct.

Also there was some new xeons released such as http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Xeon-E5-1428LV3 e5-1428l v3 If you were going to be impulsive i would NOT recommend them if you want some future proofing through the rest of the year. Lots of neutered features/clocks for a couple of extra cores.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 03-25-15 at 07:07 PM.

Silver Member

Socket 1150 and 1151 won't be interchangeable. There is a 1pin difference between the two which will result in a rearranged pin set. Not to mention they're supposed to run of different chip sets no less.
    Cruncher Status

Platinum Member

The best broadwell cpu will be the 5775C and other than the Iris Pro graphics, it's nothing special. Speed is only 3.3ghz, the L4 DRAM was halved to 64MB, L3 was cut to 6MB, and TDP is capped at 65W. Skylake is definitely worth waiting for.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

More info:

Skylake is expected to support both DDR4 and DDR3 (will depend on motherboard slots for which you can actually use), will support 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes (Skylake Xeons will support PCIe 4.0) and the performance increase is expected to be similar to the increase of going from a Pentium 4 to a Core 2 (Prescott to Conroe, specifically). Max RAM increased from 32GB to 64GB also. Will also support SATA Express and have a max TDP of 95W.

All of this is likely, but none has been confirmed. As things are looking right now, there will only be 2 Broadwell CPUs (i7-5775C and i5-5675C) that aren't BGA (soldered to the motherboard) and neither are anything to get excited about.

Past Administrator

So what's the estimated arrival date for SkyLake? Sounds like nothing else is worth buying between now and then unless you get a good deal on old hardware...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    So what's the estimated arrival date for SkyLake? Sounds like nothing else is worth buying between now and then unless you get a good deal on old hardware...
    I'm guessing early fall. I believe intel said it would be Q2 2015 which has now begun but things are pretty quiet so I might have to put some stock into the reports that its going to be delayed. I've read in the past that this 14nm process was a "bitch" and well they really don't need to. A 4790k still sells for 340$ even though a FX-8350 sells for half and is a very close competitor in benchmarks (by far a better value) and probably a better performer in boinc or very close again but better value. I think i'll probably end up buying a used 4790k or 8350 when you guys upgrade to skylake and then buy your skylakes a couple years later.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I think i'll probably end up buying a used 4790k or 8350 when you guys upgrade to skylake and then buy your skylakes a couple years later.
    No, I will not sell you my real estate. I'm building a resort up there and the reservations from Kickstarter Backers alone have already proven profitable.
    Cruncher Status

Past Administrator

@MindCrime - take a good look at which benchies you reference for the i7 vs AMD's latest. Unfortunately for us, AMD is very close in everything except pure crunching - look at the Physics score of each CPU, that will equate to what BOINC will use. Not to say AMD's are bad, but credits won't be as good as Intel, and you'll burn significantly more watts for the lesser amount of credits. So if you live in an area with high electric cost at all, then the AMD route just isn't a competitive option. If you live in a rural area where electricity is still somewhat inexpensive, the AMD looks better...

Platinum Member

What DrPop said. AMD simply doesn't come very close to performing computations as fast and efficiently as Intel...BOINC or not.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast