Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPUGrid: Short vs. Long

Platinum Member

GPUGrid: Short vs. Long

I just turned my 750ti towards GPUGrid, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I currently have it set up (zero resource share, so I only get 1 WU at a time) running the Long WUs. However, they are not finishing within that 24 hour bonus window. Would I be better off running the short WUs (which should finish in under 24 hours) or sticking with the long ones?

Gold Member

Re: GPUGrid: Short vs. Long

From what I understand, the recent batch of work released is particularly long-running. If GPUGrid gets enough complaints, they might do something about the run time or bonus. Just make sure you have a core dedicated to the GPU work unit, and confirm you don't have a "power state" issue or anything like that. Your 750 Ti should be able to get them done in less than 24hrs. Try a different driver, either latest or an older one like 344.11.

I think Long Tasks without the bonus will still pay better than Short Tasks.

Administrator

I just started running a short one, my first GPUGrid in quite some time. It looks to finish in a little over 6 hours on my 750ti. I'm set to try a long one ofter that one finishes.
    Last edited by Al; 04-22-15 at 06:29 PM.

My long tasks generally run a bit over 10 hours on my 980, but I've had a couple that went 18 hours so you might have just gotten a longer than normal one. my short tasks run right around 6 hours on my 760 and pay 38k, the longs pay 255k so I would stick with the longs even if you aren't getting the bonus.

Platinum Member

Well, my 460GT is doing the Longs in roughly 42 hours, and the shorts in roughly 9:15. So guess which one I've been running..

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Well, my 460GT is doing the Longs in roughly 42 hours, and the shorts in roughly 9:15. So guess which one I've been running..
    Yeah, it does seem like they increased the size of the long. My gtx580 "should" be completing the longs in about 30 hours. Past times was closer to 15/16 hours. I'll try to run it again since I've updated all my drivers and boinc. I wonder what my 9600gt and my 9500gt would do with the short. I bet they would both drop dead after the first few IF they will run it at all.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    I'll measure the time, and probably hit this challenge with a whopping 2 or 3 cards. I'll get a long work unit done by the end of the first day, *maybe* a second one during the project, then switch to all short to get the max points during the project time frame.

Administrator

Looks like a long will finish in 30 hours on a 750ti that's down clocked a bit.

Gold Member

I just started a long run unit on a 750 Ti, it's only running about 70% GPU usage. I'm letting the factory OC do its thing, I think there is pretty low risk for error at that usage with good temps.

Gold Member

My 750ti FTW does a long in about 22 hours and a GTX 750 takes about 23.5 hours. Both are running at factory clocks.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast