Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grrrrrrr...DNETC WU 8 hrs!

Past Administrator

Re: Grrrrrrr...DNETC WU 8 hrs!

Hmm...something is really wrong at this point. I had a Collatz WU that was at 86% done and crunching for 7 hrs when I just checked it. Not good at all.
    I suspended both DNETC and Collatz, so all it will be running is AndrOINC tonight on the x6 CPU.
    Where should I go from here? Uninstall and re-install drivers? Older drivers? Do you think I need to detach and re-attach to the projects?
    Also, the mobo I just got is 890FX chipset. If I uninstall the Catalyst drivers through the control panel, will it take my chipset drivers with it? Or does it leave those in? I'm curious how anyone else with AMD mobos and GPUs prefers to do the driver thing?

Platinum Member

Uninstall drivers, run driver sweeper. Install 10.10. Run the WU, and check the GPU load in CCC after a few minutes - if it's not high, something is wrong...

Past Administrator

OK...it's working, but I think it's still slow. What are your average times for a DNETC WU on the 5870?

For the record, I was using the latest 11.2 drivers - and no love there.
    I uninstalled, booted to safe mode, ran driver sweeper, and then rebooted. Installed 10.12 drivers because that's what I had on my old build before the mobo burnt up, so I know they *should* work with my GPU.

CCC says 97% load on GPU, at 68 degrees, Fan speed at 28%. 5870 clocks are 900 / 450.

First DNETC WU completed with this setup was an ATI_5K_Gen2, and took 15:25 to complete.
    Is that on target or do I need to do some tweaking?

Gold Member

I think I read something about DNETC handing out longer WUs now. Might run a few more and see if you get better results out of other WUs. That 5850 is taking 15:45 average. Good luck.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    First DNETC WU completed with this setup was an ATI_5K_Gen2, and took 15:25 to complete.
    Is that on target or do I need to do some tweaking?
    That is about what I was doing on my single 5870 box clocked at 900. I think you're right on.

Past Administrator

Thanks Max, that sounds good then. I will leave it like this for the day and see what gives.

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    I think I read something about DNETC handing out longer WUs now. Might run a few more and see if you get better results out of other WUs. That 5850 is taking 15:45 average. Good luck.
    Not sure if 15:25 will be my avg, but if so, that 5850 is running less than 3% behind a full out O/Ced 5870! Good bang for the buck, IMHO.

Gold Member

Not sure if 15:25 will be my avg, but if so, that 5850 is running less than 3% behind a full out O/Ced 5870! Good bang for the buck, IMHO.
    Very much so and I thank you sir!! I am only sorry about your bad luck afterwards. If it was not for that, you might already be running your dual 5970s.

Past Administrator

Ah, well, all in good time, I guess. It will still happen eventually, I think it's just teaching me patience!
    Just for the record, these older drivers - 10.12 - are cranking nicely. I don't know what might be different about the latest 11.2 set that keep a 5870 from crunching, but whatever it is, I hope they fix it in the next release.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ah, well, all in good time, I guess. It will still happen eventually, I think it's just teaching me patience!
    Just for the record, these older drivers - 10.12 - are cranking nicely. I don't know what might be different about the latest 11.2 set that keep a 5870 from crunching, but whatever it is, I hope they fix it in the next release.
    Wondering if anyone has had a problem with the new release? (11.3) I'm still running at only 78% on both cards under 11.2 and will try 11.3. If that does not work, uninstall, sweep, install 10.12. I'll post my results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12