Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holly Chit

Past Administrator

Re: Holly Chit

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    yeah almost 70 hours with 8 threads @ 3.8GHz

BTW: Go Go Intel!
    OK...I am going to try again. I'll match your O/C, too - AMD PhenomII X6 1100T @ 3.8GHz. Here we go...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK...I am going to try again. I'll match your O/C, too - AMD PhenomII X6 1100T @ 3.8GHz. Here we go...
    I don't think your rig can handle it!
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

LoL - it may be something with my rig or it may be something with the project, but it went from bad to ugly last night. I literally did not go to bed; tried multiple installs of different versions of Windows and Linux...no go on any of them. As soon as AQUA so much as starts a WU, it crashes, and I don't mean a little. Sometimes it even does something weird like kills the CPU, but leaves the fans running real slow...kind of eerie almost.
    I am baffled by this one. Every other project, even ones that are more "demanding" and run hotter than AQUA, they all run fine.
    Any ideas? I'm a little tired and miffed to be honest.

Silver Member

LoL - it may be something with my rig or it may be something with the project, but it went from bad to ugly last night. I literally did not go to bed; tried multiple installs of different versions of Windows and Linux...no go on any of them. As soon as AQUA so much as starts a WU, it crashes, and I don't mean a little. Sometimes it even does something weird like kills the CPU, but leaves the fans running real slow...kind of eerie almost.
    I am baffled by this one. Every other project, even ones that are more "demanding" and run hotter than AQUA, they all run fine.
    Any ideas? I'm a little tired and miffed to be honest.
    I donno I had a written out plan to catch you by end of year, but now I'm going to have to come up with something new. going to cost me another 2k. the twins are only going to produce 1.2-1.5 but and every time you say your done the next week you add 200k to your rac .
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

JerWA

Wish I could help, but I've still never had weird AQUA issues like this, even when it was running on laptops and first generation quad cores that only barely met spec.

But I also have no AMD quads. Maybe when I get around to upgrading my girlfriends machine (currently an X2-550) I'll enter the realm of unreliable AQUA.

Past Administrator

It probably just has a string of code in that ROQS WU that doesn't run right on the AMD X6 rigs. I say this now, because I just called up my Bro, and we switched his rig from Prima to AQUA - and same exact thing - hard crashes just after Win7 boots (i.e. right when BOINC kicks in.)
    He has a 1055T, I have 1100T. Anyone else have a similar rig to confirm the theory?

Past Administrator

It probably just has a string of code in that ROQS WU that doesn't run right on the AMD X6 rigs. I say this now, because I just called up my Bro, and we switched his rig from Prima to AQUA - and same exact thing - hard crashes just after Win7 boots (i.e. right when BOINC kicks in.)
    He has a 1055T, I have 1100T. Anyone else have a similar rig to confirm the theory?
    Sorry Bro, but I'm not taking any chances since I'm currently having my own issues with my AMD box. But I would say your hypothesis is correct. You could switch on BOINC's debug and see if you can get some info from that. Also you should post the problem in the Aqua forums.

BTW: To keep Aqua from crashing your system on boot disconnect your systems network cable, boot into safe mode, delete the Aqua project folder and then restart your system. It should make it to the desktop. Then you can suspend Aqua and run some other project. Remember to reconnect your box to the network.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

JerWA

If it were that wide spread I'd expect there to be a post about it on their forums but I don't see one.

Start a thread over there maybe? See if they can help?

Past Administrator

I will start a thread over there in a bit. Too much going on right now. Just put a much beefier PSU on KIM, so I feel more comfortable with that. BOK already had a good Antec 650W PSU...this is the Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W PSU I just put on KIM.

Had to replace an old NB chipset fan on this dual CPU board - it was whining reaaaaaly loud, and sounded like it would take off any minute! Figured if I was already going to Frys...well, you know the routine. Walked out with much more than a $10 fan!

With hard crashes like that, man, something is just wrong with AQUA. It crashed Brandon's so hard I think it killed his (admittedly somewhat cheap) PSU...he went and got a nice one from MicroCenter, and the rig turned back on just fine - Whew! He and I both have a bit of $ invested in his box at this point!

So...long story short, we're both in Prima with our AMD X6 rigs now, and crunching great.

Past Admin

I will start a thread over there in a bit. Too much going on right now. Just put a much beefier PSU on KIM, so I feel more comfortable with that. BOK already had a good Antec 650W PSU...this is the Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W PSU I just put on KIM.

Had to replace an old NB chipset fan on this dual CPU board - it was whining reaaaaaly loud, and sounded like it would take off any minute! Figured if I was already going to Frys...well, you know the routine. Walked out with much more than a $10 fan!

With hard crashes like that, man, something is just wrong with AQUA. It crashed Brandon's so hard I think it killed his (admittedly somewhat cheap) PSU...he went and got a nice one from MicroCenter, and the rig turned back on just fine - Whew! He and I both have a bit of $ invested in his box at this point!

So...long story short, we're both in Prima with our AMD X6 rigs now, and crunching great.

Glad nothing serious happend to the rigs...And Prima welcomes you back...SG is kicking in the afterburner these days...3 more days and we are #2.....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast