Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to setup VBox and Run Linux on your Windows System

Administrator

Re: How to setup VBox and Run Linux on your Windows System

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Do you have 32 bit or 64 bit boinc installed?
    I haven't gotten that far yet.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

I mean under windows. I assume you installed the boinc w/vbox. If you installed the 32 bit version of boinc, I assume it will also be the 32 bit version of vbox

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I mean under windows. I assume you installed the boinc w/vbox. If you installed the 32 bit version of boinc, I assume it will also be the 32 bit version of vbox
    Sorry. I'm running 64 bit on Windows on my server.

When I tested Linux on my main rig, I installed the Boinc I found when I searched under the Install Manager if that's the correct term. I assume that it was 64 bit as well.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    On a side note, my server is a 64 bit system; however when I run the VM it won't let me install the Linux 64 bit iso it will only let me install the 32 bit iso. What's that about?
    To clarify: when you're setting up a new VM the OS options are all 32bit, no 64bit options in the drop-down list?

I believe this is one of a few things, make sure all the virtualization stuff is turned on in your BIOS. Upon reboot if your problem still exists I think you'll need to turn off the windows hypervisor. But I'm pretty sure it'll be a virtualization setting.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62339 FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests

Administrator

Success! Finally got it all installed and Boinc as well. I'll configure Boinc once I'm done with the Cosmology challenge.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Success! Finally got it all installed and Boinc as well. I'll configure Boinc once I'm done with the Cosmology challenge.
    Sweet! Glad you got it working.

Administrator

I have run into a bit of a snafu... I once again forgot to suspend the core projects on the Windows host when I had Linux running trying to report work for WEP that I had done. I also didn't set NNT in WEP and must have gotten work because this rig locked up. So I had to do a cold boot and when it restarted Linux would not start at all. It says that my disk imagine is no longer accessible and to add insult to injury I think I deleted the optical drive because I don't know what I'm doing.

It now goes to a command prompt that says, >Init... blah blah something something. I was just going to delete the machine and reinstall Linux again; however, I don't want to loose the WEP wu's that I got. So what do I have to do to save those Boinc files?

Administrator

Go find your vm data files. Mine are under F:/programs/your vm

Copy the folder to your desktop. Reinstall the vm with the same name. Once created copy the original files back to the correct location. It worked for me in the past. No guarantee.

Platinum Member

Like Sphynx said. That folder should contain the disk image for your guest. Depending on what you picked during install something with an extension like vdi, vmdk, or vhd. That's just the storage used for the VM. Hopefully you haven't deleted or moved that. But that init> prompt is suggesting the boot loader can't find the bits necessary to boot the O/S, but at least that it found the boot sector. Another option you have is to boot a Linux distro from the "CDROM" drive and see if you can't repair the boot information. Or possibly copy just the BOINC files off of that "disk" if you can get access to it using that booted CD. But that's unclear due to your comment about thinking you may have deleted the optical drive. Although, even that's easy to recreate.

Another chance is to build a new VM under a different name, then attach the original VM's disk as a secondary drive to that one. Then you can copy the BOINC files directly to the new Guest when you're ready. Plenty of options, none of which are super easy to talk through without a little more time.

Administrator

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234