Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Diamond Member

Re: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8.
    Win10 detects the kind of machine it is on, and sets it accordingly. If you are on a normal PC, then you get a normal desktop. If you are on a tablet, it will give you a touch-centric desktop (I think).
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Actually, VBox 5 was released last month and the Release notes indicate they added Window 10 support.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Release Notes
    The 5.0 release supports the latest guest or host operating systems including: Mac OS X Yosemite, Windows 10, Oracle Linux, Oracle Solaris, other Linux operating systems, and legacy operating systems.

Silver Member

Ok! Lets see who's been paying attention in class! I know Windows 10 does it's own thing when it comes to updates. I'm trying to get this video card to work in my wee computer. I don't have the time or the patience to let Windows 10 hang out for an indefinite amount of time hoping that it somehow manages to update. The latest set of instructions from just 3 days ago say to make sure to have windows 10 updated before installing. Um......alrighty! Anyone know of a way to force windows 10 to update or the set schedule on when I should shoot for to allow it to update on it's own? Until this situation is fixed, there is no way I'm gonna crunch with 10. Would lose too much gpu time in the mix waiting for something that may or may not happen anytime within the next year.

Diamond Member

Start menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows update -> Check for updates
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Start menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows update -> Check for updates
    Hahahaha! That's a good one. Windows update is not listed in any of my installs of 10.

Gold Member

In the lower right hand corner you have an icon that is square and has lines running through it. Click on it and you will see several items that you can look at. One of them is updates and security. Just click and it will give you the updates.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Update-
    iTunes - Works!
    TeamViewer - Works!
    NetFlix - Works!
    Vbox - Failed! Not supported under Win 10, but might only need a reinstall.
    Boinc - Works, though I haven't tested the gpu crunching because it's crappy at best on this laptop.
    USB/CD - Works!

Better than I expected, I must say.
    Alas, I still prefer Win7 as crunching goes down every day on Win10 and it keeps giving me memory low messages, which isn't actually true. I'm reverting back to Win7. Apparently all this newness isn't for me. BTW, reverting did FUBAR my iTunes installation, but everything else seems okay.

Edit: Caution! If there is ANY chance you will revert back to a previous version of Windows, DO NOT upgrade any software. I did this with iTunes and it caused problems that could not be resolved except by returning to Windows 10. So I've got it whether I want it or not on this laptop because that's where all my music was stored.
    Last edited by Al; 09-27-15 at 07:12 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234