Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Gold Member

Re: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Thanks for the tip. @f$

If you have enterprise (volume license) then you don't get the upgrade.

Vic (mobile)

Administrator

I'm willing to give 10 a shot on my old laptop. It's a dual boot system now, Win7/Linux. If the upgrade goes badly I'll still be able to use the Linux OS. Yes! I'm a skeptic.

How long is the wait from Reserving Win 10 till it actually shows up for install?

Administrator

I got tired of waiting for the download to happen.

Microsoft provides an ISO file you can burn to DVD or expand to a USB drive.
    They say this way a tech savvy person can download it once and install it on many machines.
    The image is not machine specific and does not have a key embedded in it.
    Instead it appears to use the hardware address of the motherboard to create a unique instance to send back to Microsoft to authenticate.

Here is the web site I used to successfully download an ISO image.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

You first download a downloader, run it, and then pick the version of Windows 10 you want to download.
    Don't download the combined 32 and 64 bit version if you want to transfer the ISO file to a DVD. It is too large (5.8 GB).

Don't download versions with an "N" in them.
    They are for European installs.
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...nd-kn-editions

You won't need a Windows live account to install or use Windows 10 if you don't want to.
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...rosoft-account

I made a DVD from the download and upgraded one Windows 7 machine so far with it.
    It went very smooth, but the machine had very few applications on it since it was built from scrap to be an auxiliary cruncher during competitions.
    Last edited by Ron Shurtz; 08-19-15 at 04:19 PM.

Diamond Member

Just a reminder, win10 gives you 30 days to revert to your previous OS. No need to wipe the disk and reinstall if you don't like it.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I'll have to download it twice if I like it. The laptop is Win7 Home Premium so I'll just upgrade that one. The rest of my computers are Ultimate and I'll make the Win 10 Pro USB installer for those. Patience is not one of my virtues, so I'll download them instead of waiting. Thanks for the tips Ron.

Silver Member

Oh good grief! I just spent a little time tweaking the install on my we4e computer. Much of what I wanted to do is now done. I was so looking forward to finalizing the migration of boinc and all the goodness to make this totally do-able. But alas, every time I boot, it says no amd drivers are installed. Windows says I need a bios update. Yeah, like I'd trust an OS for the right answer. I'm actually in the middle of following one article on the amd support forum and uninstalling everything amd, deleting everything amd, using the new ddu and all that. Ok, instead of doing the first reboot, I told it to shut down. (break time!) I went ahead and went to the directory of the forum where this solution was given. The number of problems that have come with windows 10 release is just overwhelming! Sometimes someone figures out a fix after trial and error, sometimes that fix doesn't work for others. It appears at this early stage, it's a real grab bag if things go perfectly. I'm happy that my main didn't go through this. Then again, I didn't check to see if boinc actually worked. I was more concerned with the nvidia card and the miners before changing drives to continue my crunching in Windows 8.

Those who have had no issues, be very grateful. To those with issues, give it a few months. I am pretty much beside myself seeing the problems mainly due to the fact I had my volume license version of Windows 8 a month before the official release and had no problems with drivers. I'll get back to the wee one and do the hokey pokey and we'll see if boinc will run on it. If it won't the time I lose is on me messing with it and not doing a total re-install of 7 or 8.

Administrator

Well, 10 is now on my laptop and I have to say, I don't hate it. It migrated 8000 photos and 4000 iTunes songs to its music and photo section without an issue. The iTunes compressed songs even play, though I prefer the iTunes interface. Boinc picked up right where I shut it down. I even like the File Manager...first time open and it highlighted my Boinc Directories for one click access. So far so good with every program I've tried and there are a lot on this laptop.

Alas, a big share of the features will not be available as I'll forgo an MSN Account. I also turned off all reporting to M$ and set Firefox as my default browser. Basically, for me, it's a more eye appealing version of Win7, with a longer shelf life.

Administrator

Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8. I can't stand the touchy feely Win8 inteface on this laptop. I boot into the desktop and leave it there unless I have no other option.

One of my pet peeves when I worked at HP was when someone would ask you to bring up something and then they would "point" to something on the screen. They couldn't just point, they had to leave their damn greasy finger prints all over the glass. So why would I want to do that to my own screens? This laptop does have touch capability but I have it disabled. There are some tricks old dogs just refuse to learn

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8. I can't stand the touchy feely Win8 inteface on this laptop. I boot into the desktop and leave it there unless I have no other option.

One of my pet peeves when I worked at HP was when someone would ask you to bring up something and then they would "point" to something on the screen. They couldn't just point, they had to leave their damn greasy finger prints all over the glass. So why would I want to do that to my own screens? This laptop does have touch capability but I have it disabled. There are some tricks old dogs just refuse to learn
    Aside from the icons looking a bit different my desktop looks about the same. When you click the start button it starts to look a bit different, but nothing like Win8...it has a Start Menu and everything! At the same time, you can tell that it was designed with a tablet in mind, though I use my mouse like always as my laptop has no touch capability.

Administrator

Update-
    iTunes - Works!
    TeamViewer - Works!
    NetFlix - Works!
    Vbox - Failed! Not supported under Win 10, but might only need a reinstall.
    Boinc - Works, though I haven't tested the gpu crunching because it's crappy at best on this laptop.
    USB/CD - Works!

Better than I expected, I must say.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast