Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD 6990...

Platinum Member

Re: AMD 6990...

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Sometimes I think it would take a mechanic to figure out computer cooling. You can’t think 3-120mm you have to think in inches like 12”-14” on a geo metro radiator. Why water cooling guys dont use car AC heat exchangers is beond me.
    i want to. and i've given it alot of thought. we actually talked about it extensively in the old forum. but not ready to hack up my case yet to try and mount one. and sticking it somewhere not attached to the case is just kinda tacky

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    i want to. and i've given it alot of thought. we actually talked about it extensively in the old forum. but not ready to hack up my case yet to try and mount one. and sticking it somewhere not attached to the case is just kinda tacky
    you just inspired me. thanks
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Sometimes I think it would take a mechanic to figure out computer cooling. You can’t think 3-120mm you have to think in inches like 12”-14” on a geo metro radiator. Why water cooling guys dont use car AC heat exchangers is beond me.
    I built a Dodge Dakota race truck that used two Chevy S-10 heater cores and a total of four Danger Den waterblocks with 100watt Peltier coolers to create freezing water. Why? I used copper lines attached to the fuel rail to make the gasoline injected into the 4.7L V8 super cold.

The truck ran a 14.5 second 1/4 mile without fuel rail cooling.

I was able to run a 14.1 second 1/4 mile with the system on.

So yeah, long story made short, I see no reason why people don't use cheap $20 automotive heater cores on their water cooling systems.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Why not mount the heater core up against the output of a window air conditioner?
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    Why not mount the heater core up against the output of a window air conditioner?
    you missed the remote mount issue. There are photos online of people doing that. all kinds of places. Hell i've seen rack systems in deep frezzers. OC guys are crazy about speed.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    and i don't have window air conditionng. central unit here. and it's winter so it wouldn't be running anyway lol

Past Administrator

Ha! So...you guys know any way to do this easily? There's a lot of mounting holes on the top of my HAF-932 case. I could probably work some kind of system out, and it's in a back room, so who cares what it looks like.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    You should buy 3 of them!
    Ah you know most residential electrical systems have 15 amp circuits that can only push 1600 Watts. With three I'd start getting concerned that turning a TV on in the same circuit would pop the circuit breaker. Don't know what the power consumption of three 6990s, plus CPUs, disks, etc would be. My two boxes with a GTX 580 and ATI 5870 are nearing a 1,000 watts.

You could always look for a 20 amp circuit. They are usually in your bathroom or kitchen

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Ah you know most residential electrical systems have 15 amp circuits that can only push 1600 Watts. With three I'd start getting concerned that turning a TV on in the same circuit would pop the circuit breaker. Don't know what the power consumption of three 6990s, plus CPUs, disks, etc would be. My two boxes with a GTX 580 and ATI 5870 are nearing a 1,000 watts.

You could always look for a 20 amp circuit. They are usually in your bathroom or kitchen
    Or latch onto your circuit for your electric stove or washer/dryer. The breaker for my dryer is 50 Amp@208. That would net you about 10,000 watts available. (As long as you change the dryer over to gas.)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Or latch onto your circuit for your electric stove or washer/dryer. The breaker for my dryer is 50 Amp@208. That would net you about 10,000 watts available. (As long as you change the dryer over to gas.)

Well, if you own the house and are not afraid of doing simple electrical work. Replace the 15A breaker with a 20A breaker. Most modern breaker boxes are modular. There are several different standards/styles that are not interchangable so you would need to match the 20A unit to the 15A it is replacing. Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware all carry hardware for most of the breaker boxes used.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast