Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Dallas!

Hello from Dallas!

Hey there everyone!

My name is Josh and I'm pretty excited to be a cruncher. I think SETI is an awesome project (considering all going on in the space news/community) and as I get the hang of things I will be joining other projects. Right now I only have my laptop crunching and then I'll be adding my machines with MUCH better specs and equipment once I'm comfortable with everything. My typical completion rate (per work unit is it called?) is roughly an hour, although a few have taken 3-4 hours. I have completed 15 so far (woohoo)! A couple of questions for you seasoned crunchers:

How can I speed up crunching? I suspect it's hardware based, cpu/gpu
    Where are member rankings for the curious?
    Any other add ons to the program or other projects members highly recommend or consider a "must"?

I look forward to being a helpful and contributing member here at good ol SETI.USA team and community!

Diamond Member

Re: Hello from Dallas!

Welcome Josh.

We have a lot of great crunchers that can have many good ideas for you to improve crunching and I am not one of them.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator

Hi Josh ... glad to see you here and thanks for joining the team. BOINC is a lot of fun and it is irrelevant whether someone is a big cruncher or small cruncher. You can set personal goals that are within your capability and then shoot for them. There are challenges that you can enter and participate in -or- not. You can chase credits or "badges" or none of the above

Almost all of us started with Seti when we 1st started crunching. Some still mainly run that project but most of the truly active crunchers run other projects as well.

With regards to team ranking you can view them on Free-DC stats: HERE. There are 2 primary stats sites FreeDC (run by BOK a SUSA member) and BoincStats run out of Germany.

With regards to crunching faster, the absolute highest paying project, Bitcoin Utopia, uses ASIC miners and pays extremely high credits. Relatively speaking it also one of the higher paying CPU projects. There are projects that use GPUs and they will pay much hihger credits than CPUs because they do much more work for a given time. There are a couple of exceptions to that like Asteroids and Einstein that pay better than CPU but not all that much better.

One project that you want to run on ALL of your computers is WuProp. That is a project that gathers information about the WU and projects that you crunch. It will keep track of the total hours that you have spent crunching a project and then award "stars" when you have completed 20 projects of at least 100 hours on each. This project is NCI, non cpu intensive, meaning that although it is running on your machine it requires very very little CPU time. You can add WuProp to your project list by attaching to: WuPROP

One word of caution ... crunching on laptops is very hard on them due to the heat. There is a finite life to the fan in your laptop and crunching causes the fan to run at 100% RPM for extended periods.

If you have further questions please feel free to ask. We do actually have some folks on here that know what they are doing on almost any project, OS, GPU, CPU, or MM (MegaMilestone) chasing.

EDIT: BTW, one of the easiest ways to get paid higher credits is to run something besides Seti ... the payout there really sucks

Platinum Member

Well, don't forget to mention that running the Optimized Apps for SETI helps get more work done (leading to better credits as a side benefit.) The "Lunatics Universal Installer" works fairly effortlessly for most Windows based systems.

http://www.arkayn.us/forum/

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Well, don't forget to mention that running the Optimized Apps for SETI helps get more work done (leading to better credits as a side benefit.) The "Lunatics Universal Installer" works fairly effortlessly for most Windows based systems.

http://www.arkayn.us/forum/
    You're correct! I forgot cause I don't do Seti

Silver Member

I just loaded up seti..man been years. Where is the opti app for this new version 7 at ?

Gold Member

Lunatics Optimized Apps installers here: http://lunatics.kwsn.info/index.php?module=Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by DrBackJack View Post
    I just loaded up seti..man been years. Where is the opti app for this new version 7 at ?

Well thanks for the reassurance, Sir Duke of Buckingham

I see you have a good sense of humor. That's a good thing. Nice to meet you.

Bryan and Mumps,

I really appreciate the input. Bryan, I will be looking into all you suggested. As far as my laptop goes, it is an old one I bought while in the Marines in 2010. The room I keep my laptop in is set to 60f, I have a cooler master laptop cooling pad and I have the main cover to the ram off of it. I use an air compressor on it once a week for dust and usually take it apart every couple months to clean the fan and check for small accumulation of dust bunnies and such. My temps are monitored with real temp and core temp programs and usually floats around 48c while the max temp of the chip (T4500) is about 105c. I am pretty much a PC enthusiast in my spare time so I take care of my machines. I really do appreciate the advice

Mumps, I'll take a look into what you were referring to. I want to make this laptop as quick and efficient as possible as hard as it may be on Windows haha. Thanks.

Diamond Member

I hope you live in a boat this weekend!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast