Thread: Difference between CAMB & camb_legacy?

Platinum Member

Question Difference between CAMB & camb_legacy?

Not sure if there is a difference. Also curious in terms of WUprop too (not seeing a separation at this time).

Platinum Member

Re: Difference between CAMB & camb_legacy?

CAMB and camb_legacy are the same App. There's a thread on their project site about it, and it was something they instituted back while they had their test site running. So it is still the same app and WuProp is counting the hours as such.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    CAMB and camb_legacy are the same App. There's a thread on their project site about it, and it was something they instituted back while they had their test site running. So it is still the same app and WuProp is counting the hours as such.
    Are you sure? The WuProp 24 hour list HERE shows them as different. I ran a few a week ago and I have them showing up in my WuProp as a different project.

Platinum Member

CAMB is the Legacy and camb_boinc2docker (beta test) is their new VM based app. I don't see anything else "camb" or "cosm" in that screen, but I think WuProp tailors that data to each user. The other thing to note is that you may see references to "cosmohome", and that's the beta project site, versus "Cosmology@Home" which is their production project. And that Beta Project server doesn't even exist anymore...

Administrator

Oh crap, I misread what you were saying ... sorry. Yep, the legacy is the same as the old app. I thought you were saying that the new one (boinc2docker) was the same.

I think I need to go back and take course on remedial reading

Platinum Member

Well, it didn't help that I glossed over that "CAMB" is the Legacy app on the Production server (which is still producing work, and what Wuprop is logging the hours under...) versus camb_legacy being the exact same app, just running on the beta.cosmologyathome.org server that is no longer even available. (But is also what the Production server is currently showing as the app_name for the CAMB WU's on the Server Status page.) You currently can't make any more points or hours on camb_legacy. All the WuProp hours are on the Production CAMB app.

Administrator

They said that they were planning on keeping the "legacy" app for those folks with 32 bit machines since the new app is 64 bit only. Maybe they changed their minds .... damn, I needed some hours on it.

Platinum Member

They did keep it. And I'm currently making plenty of hours on it. What you are most likely stuck on is trying to add hours on the "camb_legacy" app on the "cosmohome" server that shows up on the WuProp pages and stats on Free-DC. It's the server that no longer exists. And they said up front that their plan was to never export stats from that beta server, so all it was ever any good for (aside from their testing, that is) was WuProp hours...

Yes, you can run all the legacy WU's you want. As CAMB on the www.cosmologyathome.org server. And if you have the 64 bit systems to run their VM's, you can run all the "camb_boinc2docker" WU's you want, also on the www.cosmologyathome.org server. But you're looking at the WuProp hours for the "cosmohome" server. Completely different place, used to be "beta.cosmologyathome.org" and that server name is no longer even valid.

See the thread from their Production forums... http://www.cosmologyathome.org/forum_thread.php?id=7227

Platinum Member

Wow Mumps, thank you for clearing that up. I feel like there was a point last year where we were kind of backing away from Cosmo due to rumors of the project being killed off or something of that nature. I want to push it over 2.5m before that happens, if it is going to.