Greetings

Go by Patkovic

User ID : 10234530

Past Admin

Re: New cruncher

Welcome to the boards!!!

Patkovic

I was told some of you folks may be able to take a look at my system, and see if there is any tips for crunching that I can use to be more efficient. New at this and just started running a couple of programs, part time, which include Seti, Asteroids, Rosetta, and WUprop (test run) Seems to crunch these OK. Asteroids total credit: 48480 avg. 3,574.12, Seti total credit: 10.395 avg. 7303.02 since Npv 13th part time runs.

System is :GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz [Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 (8 processors)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (1023MB) driver: 307.21 OpenCL: 1.1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition, Service Pack 1, (06.01.7601.00)

Amy tips pr suggestions will be appreciated. As I said, this is all new to me. Thanks

Silver Member

With SETI@home, there is a program called Lunatics. It can be found at http://mikesworldnet.de/download.html. With this one you need to make sure you are not running Boinc when you run it. Download the 64x version. I really hace no idea why there are other downloads covering different configs/video cards. Lunatics covers things pretty good for gpu running.

Asteroids is pretty cut and dry with gpu running. You will need what is called an app_config.xml file. Can someone post it. I have only copied it and the forum isn't being nice with the tags. lol

Normally, after inputing the text into notepad, click on save as and select all files. Name the file app_config.xml. After you do this, go to your c: drive and open it. Click on view and put a check mark in hidden folders. A folder named ProgramData should show up. Open it and then open the Boinc folder. There will be another folder named projects that you need to open. These are your project folders for everything you are running. Open the asteroids folder and move the app_config file you created into that folder. Many or most projects take some sort of app_config file. Most of the time it's not necessary unless you are runn9ing gpu apps or want to run more than one project at a time. Once you start playing with a basic app_config file, it's pretty easy to create one for all your projects with the exception of wuprop. It just keeps a record and will never need to be modified to run different. Right now I don't have Rosetta set up and don't remember if it really needs one or not.

Some projects have what are called opti app files that you can download like lunatics. Installing them is normally a little different than with the lunatics program. It's a special case. If you pick up a new project, just ask if there is an opti file for it or what the app_config.xml file should be for it and I'm sure someone will cough up the info.

Administrator

You can also find a list of all optimized files, including the optimized application file in our team DropBox: Team Members Only/Team Discussion/Stickies/Optimized Apps thread.

It will be obvious what project the app is for. What won't be obvious is how to install it. Just ask if you see a project you would like to run and we'll get you some help installing it.

Gold Member

We like to see members run WUProp on all computers, it is a NON CPU intensive project so it doesn't effect your CPU projects. We think of it as almost free credits. There are several other NON COU intensive projects. I run between 5 and seven NON CPU intensive projects on all of my computers. Running that many it will effect your Cpu's to some degree. Always keep in mind that what you run is always your choice.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]