As some of you may be aware from the message boards, there are a small number of extra long WUs (about 6 per data set). These will eventually be fixed in the WU generator, but until then I am manually deleting them when I come across them.

IF you happen to be crunching on one of these when I pull the plug, please let me know and I will manually grant you credit for the lost work.

I can't think of a better way to handle these troublesome WUs. They are like a hot potato that keeps getting passed around from one user to another. Most results fail with "no reply", others are "aborted via the GUI" (probably because users think they are stuck). With a 10 day grace period and 8 failures before the server cancels the WU, it takes a large amount of time before these WUs naturally disappear.

Note that these long WUs will finish normally within 2 or 3 days, so it doesn't hurt to let them continue if you think you may have one. It takes a history of "no replies" before I become aware of it, so the first few users that get a long one are safe from having it cancelled.

More...