Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Silver Member

Re: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Any plans to RMA the gigabyte board? Seems like a pretty straightforward reason: "doesn't boot with verified good RAM that's on the QVL" Or is 16GB enough functionality to not have to deal with gigabyte customer service?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Any plans to RMA the gigabyte board? Seems like a pretty straightforward reason: "doesn't boot with verified good RAM that's on the QVL" Or is 16GB enough functionality to not have to deal with gigabyte customer service?
    I submitted a ticket. Once it's up and fully outfitted, this should be my home office computer for the next couple years. I'm going to want the additional RAM for photo & video work.

If approved (not sure why it wouldn't) this will be the 4th RMA on this build

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post

If approved (not sure why it wouldn't) this will be the 4th RMA on this build
    this haswell rig needs a new name, RMAs-well

Silver Member

OMG! 4th you say? Send it in when it gets approved and while it's out, start shopping for another mobo for your wife's computer while keeping THAT mobo as a lesser cruncher. Better to know what could go wrong with that build than have to deal with the wife's wrath while digging it out of the trash.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    OMG! 4th you say? Send it in when it gets approved and while it's out, start shopping for another mobo for your wife's computer while keeping THAT mobo as a lesser cruncher. Better to know what could go wrong with that build than have to deal with the wife's wrath while digging it out of the trash.
    Now why did you have to go and suggest I buy moar gear?! I've already laid out #(&%@()& bucks on this thing... and now you've got me browsing mobos on Newegg

Let's see, I could order one today, pick up tomorrow and build over the weekend

Maybe I'll try my luck with MSI instead of Gigabyte. I'm thinking this one will do...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130840

Silver Member

MSI.......I've had a few experiences with those. It's going to be one of those things where you will need to do research and ask others about. I've heard horror stories about boards from every manufacturer. I've also heard glowing reports on those same manufacturers. MSI has always been one of those right down the middle. I personally would look up and research EVGA while you are at it. The two mobos I have that I've yet to have a single problem with are EVGA and Gigabyte. My Asus.....aka Bipolar......let's just say it's gonna be a really long time before I have faith in them again. True, I had to re-work around some burned bits on the Gigabyte board and dealt with scraping burnt off of the psu pins on the EVGA. In both cases it's suspected that the PSU caused both scenarios. Ok, I lied. The person I got the Gigabyte board from told me it was the PSU. But when I did a full inspection, the backplate for the cpu cooler was touching many of the pins on the back side of the motherboard and showed signs of charring. Don't rely solely on the hype from the sellers when it comes to choosing a good board.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    MSI.......I've had a few experiences with those. It's going to be one of those things where you will need to do research and ask others about. I've heard horror stories about boards from every manufacturer. I've also heard glowing reports on those same manufacturers. MSI has always been one of those right down the middle. I personally would look up and research EVGA while you are at it. The two mobos I have that I've yet to have a single problem with are EVGA and Gigabyte. My Asus.....aka Bipolar......let's just say it's gonna be a really long time before I have faith in them again. True, I had to re-work around some burned bits on the Gigabyte board and dealt with scraping burnt off of the psu pins on the EVGA. In both cases it's suspected that the PSU caused both scenarios. Ok, I lied. The person I got the Gigabyte board from told me it was the PSU. But when I did a full inspection, the backplate for the cpu cooler was touching many of the pins on the back side of the motherboard and showed signs of charring. Don't rely solely on the hype from the sellers when it comes to choosing a good board.
    I'd love to try an EVGA motherboard... but they are significantly more expensive than the ones I'm looking at. Their only X99 mobo in my price range is Micro ATX, and I prefer an ATX board for this build. I think the most reliable motherboard I've ever owned is from Biostar, but they don't make an X99 mobo. So, I think I'll try this MSI and hope I get a good one!

Now... I wonder if I could uninstall all my drivers and swap motherboards without Windows 10 noticing

Gold Member

Performing a delicate transplant today... Wasp (Re)Redux goes in the NZXT case, Phoenix (RMAswell) goes in the Fractal Design case with the new MSI mobo...
    Last edited by FourOh; 03-13-16 at 06:38 PM.

Gold Member

I'm pretty surprised, myself... I uninstalled as many drivers as I could, swapped motherboards and it fired right up! Plus, the memory issue is resolved!

Phoenix (RMAswell)

Wasp Redux (Redux)

Still waiting on RMA from MSI for Wasp's 2nd R9 280X, and tomorrow I'm sending in Phoenix's GTX 970 to EVGA for a step-up to a 980. I'm hoping to be out of the rig building business soon!!

Administrator

I have 2 of the Z77 Extreme3 boards and have been very pleased with them. Gigabyte, never a problem. MSI, no issues. ASUS Sabertooth...a WOW board. I've been fortunate. I do note that your build pictures are missing dust and bad cable management...please redo them!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast