Thread: Test4Theory@home: vlHC Theory Application 64bit upgrade

Diamond Member

Test4Theory@home: vlHC Theory Application 64bit upgrade

We have put the new Theory 64bit Application into production today.

Please note the following important changes:

As it is a 64bit application, you must have VT-x / AMD-V acceleration enabled:
    - To check this, in your VirtualBox Manager select "Settings -> System -> Acceleration" and make sure that "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" is activated. Also make sure another hypervisor isn't installed or running like KVM or Hyper-V.

For volunteers with 32bit hardware, the legacy 32bit Theory Application will be retained for a while:
    - (subject to CoPilot continuing to run on a best-effort basis, as our CoPilot support person has just left CERN).

The CoPilot job scheduler system has been replaced by Condor:
    - This enables us to unify both Theory and the LHC experiment applications going forward. (Condor is already implemented in the CMS Application here).

The VM consoles for the new Theory app are:
    SCREEN 1: Boot console
    SCREEN 2: Job output of running job
    SCREEN 3: Linux "top" output
    SCREEN 4: Job ID log (Condor and MCPlots)
    SCREEN 5: Job error log
    SCREEN 6: Login console

The web logs for the new Theory app are:
    Parent (home) directory - the standard Test4Theory graphics with links to the other logs:
    MasterLog: Condor Master process log
    StartLog: Condor Start Daemon log
    Starterlog: Condor Starter process log
    running.log: Current executing job output file
    .. finished_n.log: nth completed job output file
    stderr.log: Job error log
    stdout.log: Job ID log (Condor and MCPlots)

The team

More...

Diamond Member

Re: Test4Theory@home: vlHC Theory Application 64bit upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    [B]As it is a 64bit application, you must have VT-x / AMD-V acceleration enabled:
    - To check this, in your VirtualBox Manager select "Settings -> System -> Acceleration" and make sure that "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" is activated. Also make sure another hypervisor isn't installed or running like KVM or Hyper-V.
    More...
    This makes no sense to me. This setting is per VM, not a global setting. So how is one supposed to do this? DL a task, go into the settings for that VM, update the setting. Then repeat every time?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Test4Theory@home: vlHC Theory Application 64bit upgrade

No. They mean you have to have it enabled in your BIOS. If it's not, you cannot run 64 bit VMs. Even the older Atlas VM's required this though, so if you've been running just about any other VM based project successfully, you most likely already have it set.

When I was first getting my hosts set up, a quick way I found to verify it is to simply start the process to create your own VM. "Machine->New" if the "Version" option lists a "(32-bit)" version of Windows first, and you can't find any "(64-bit)" options in the list, you don't have VT-x enabled.