Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old BOINCer, New SETI.USA team member

Wolfe53

Old BOINCer, New SETI.USA team member

Hello Folks:
    I have been doing BOINC computing various places since 1996, now just doing it at my home site since I have retired. I caught wind of the BOINC Pentathalon via a notice from Universe@Home and looked around for a team that could use my modest resources the best. I found SETI.USA and joined.

I am primarily running a I5-4432 quad core using Gentoo Linux. My home network has 6 computers and 2 Xbox1 consoles, plus a few smartphones and other devices. Internet is a 1152 Mbit ADSL circuit.

I hail from Durham, NC and have been here for 50 years, but I have been using computers for 58 years. Officially a Generation Zero Whiz kid, and my Dad was an official Computer Pioneer, and he started me helping him when I was 5. Got a BS/CS from N.C. State in 1975 (minor in genetics). Spent most of my time after University doing System Administration and a few major application suites. At one point I spent 2.5 years doing consulting in the NYC Metro Area, with a few stints at Bell Labs and NY Telephone (before reorganization.)

Glad to be a SETI.USA member and putting the credits to use for a good group.

Gold Member

Re: Old BOINCer, New SETI.USA team member

Good to have another "old" person around. Seems like you have a great geek background and you certainly have a farm that can add some number to the team. Thanks for joining and don't be a stranger.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe53 View Post
    Hello Folks:
    I have been doing BOINC computing various places since 1996, now just doing it at my home site since I have retired. I caught wind of the BOINC Pentathalon via a notice from Universe@Home and looked around for a team that could use my modest resources the best. I found SETI.USA and joined.

I am primarily running a I5-4432 quad core using Gentoo Linux. My home network has 6 computers and 2 Xbox1 consoles, plus a few smartphones and other devices. Internet is a 1152 Mbit ADSL circuit.

I hail from Durham, NC and have been here for 50 years, but I have been using computers for 58 years. Officially a Generation Zero Whiz kid, and my Dad was an official Computer Pioneer, and he started me helping him when I was 5. Got a BS/CS from N.C. State in 1975 (minor in genetics). Spent most of my time after University doing System Administration and a few major application suites. At one point I spent 2.5 years doing consulting in the NYC Metro Area, with a few stints at Bell Labs and NY Telephone (before reorganization.)

Glad to be a SETI.USA member and putting the credits to use for a good group.
    Awesome and welcome aboard Wolfe53! We're always glad to have new members.

Wow, boincing since '96, that's quite some time. I started in 2010 and joined SETI.USA the same year; I've just returned this past week after a 5 year hiatus.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Welcome! Good to have another local. I'm over in Chapel Hill and Bok (great guy that runs Free-DC) is in Wake Forest. I guess we have the triangle covered pretty well now. I've upgraded you to Team Member so you should be able to browse anywhere you like. Again, Welcome to SUSA!

Platinum Member

Welcome. Thanks for the help on the Pentathlon!

Diamond Member

Welcome!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Great to have you back

Silver Member

Glad your here... With all these people on the team from North Carolina, gonna have to make a trip to my old stomping grounds, in the next couple of years.
    I personally, was stationed in Elizabeth City, NC, from 75-79....
    Road trips to Raleigh/Durham on the weekends.
    Id like to go back and see how much has changed over the years, and visit team mates along the way.

Diamond Member

Welcome back Wolfe53.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Thanks, @Wolfe53. Welcome to the team, and use the forums often!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast