Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS for testing

Silver Member

OS for testing

I will be setting up the test computers this weekend. I need to know what 4 OS the team feels will be most useful. Linux 32/64 and a Windows 32/64. I have licenses for just about every Windows so that’s not an issue.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Re: OS for testing

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    I will be setting up the test computers this weekend. I need to know what 4 OS the team feels will be most useful. Linux 32/64 and a Windows 32/64. I have licenses for just about every Windows so that’s not an issue.
    This BOINCstats page should answer your question SETI.USA Host Operating System breakdown.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    This BOINCstats page should answer your question SETI.USA Host Operating System breakdown.
    No that dosn't tell me anything.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

It depends on what you are wanting to crunch. I would say 64-bit OS clearly, but whether you go Linux or Windows depends on the projects.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    It depends on what you are wanting to crunch. I would say 64-bit OS clearly, but whether you go Linux or Windows depends on the projects.
    Dr. Pop put my words into english please

Platinum Member

Dr. Pop put my words into english please
    What projects are you going to be running on it? That will lead to the answer...

Silver Member

all of them

Platinum Member

all of them
    In that your best bet is probably Windows, 64 bit (Probably Win7). There are more projects without Linux apps than there are without Windows apps.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    No that dosn't tell me anything.
    Well, actually it does. It tells you what OS's the team as a whole is using. It tells you which OS's and to some extent which group of procs are getting the most credits overall. It also has a companion page listing the teams active CPUs types, RAC, Avg. and total credit. If you really analyze the info that page displays it says a lot.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 03-16-11 at 06:51 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

No it doesn’t, And the confusion is my fault I’m sure, I have 2 boxes one is a Intel and one is an Amd running like motherboards and like memory like hard drives not like power supplies though didn’t see the need. I’m going to run 4 OS on each system so we can determine 100% what projects run best on which platform. But I need to know what is most relevant, I’m sure Windows XP is the most used 32bit but I have no idea what would be the 64 bit, My guess would be 7 because not a lot of people used vista 64 b but its just as available. Linux is a platform the amount of people using a “true Linux” has got to be 2-3 people at most. My guess is some kind of Ubuntu base but I’m not going to guess and waste a lot of work and time. Someone might be running 100 computers on Red Hat. I don’t know these things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast