Thread: MINT 18 Beta -- POISON?

Administrator

MINT 18 Beta -- POISON?

When I built the new machine it booted into Linux Mint that had been installed on the original I7-3930K. It ran fine and was crunching CSG WU in 10400s. I put a new SSD drive in the machine and did a "clean" Linux install. The latest Mint Xcfe is 18 Beta. When the installation was complete I started crunching CSG again and the WU were taking 14500s ... 40% longer. I was after hours so I let it run for 24 hours and nothing changed.

After a day I did a clean install of Mint 17.1 (Xcfe) and the WU time returned to 10400s.

Assuming nothing went wrong with my original Mint 18 Beta install (who knows) then it appears that it may not be ready for prime time yet ... maybe that's why they are calling it BETA

Your mileage may vary, but I'm quite content w/ Mint 17.1 --- at least for now.

Platinum Member

Re: MINT 18 Beta -- POISON?

Just curious if you eventually got the same version of BOINC on both installs.

Administrator

No, the Beta version gave me 7.6.31 and 17.1 gave me 7.2.42. I haven't tried upgrading yet to see if it is a function of the BOINC version. I really don't think that is the problem so I haven't pursued it yet. I was just tickled to get back to "normal" crunch time

They've added some new commands and capability to Mint 18 so I'm guessing they have a different repository than what was used for the previous versions ... pure guess on my part. TBH I don't even now where to look for 7.6.31. The BOINC download page only shows up to 7.4.25.

Platinum Member

https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagia...e/ubuntu/boinc

Try this, MiNT is a derivative of Ubuntu so the version for 17.1 is probably capable of using one of the versions found here:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -s boinc
    That last command should give you some output about what apt-get would do if you actually let it do that install (-s is "show, but don't do") If it includes something similar to the following:

The following extra packages will be installed:
    boinc-client boinc-manager libboinc7
    Suggested packages:
    boinc-client-opencl boinc-client-fglrx boinc-client-nvidia-cuda
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    boinc boinc-client boinc-manager libboinc7
    4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 322 not upgraded.
    Inst boinc-client [7.6.12+dfsg-1~trusty2] (7.6.32+dfsg-2~ubuntu14.04.1~ppa2 boinc development release:14.04/trusty [amd64]) []
    You can repeat the install command without the -s to get the now current version installed. 7.6.32 in the example above.

It probably won't say "trusty" but more likely "wily"

NOTE: My experience has been that 7.6.32 doesn't work well at dDM. Seems to have broken something in the way the BOINC tasks communicate with the boinc daemon that breaks with the way that dDM talks to the java stack. I upgraded to 7.6.32 then copied the 3 executable from a 7.6.31 install to get things working fine for my dDM run. I didn't notice other projects having that same problem while I was running 7.6.32 though. YMMV

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    No, the Beta version gave me 7.6.31 and 17.1 gave me 7.2.42. I haven't tried upgrading yet to see if it is a function of the BOINC version. I really don't think that is the problem so I haven't pursued it yet. I was just tickled to get back to "normal" crunch time

They've added some new commands and capability to Mint 18 so I'm guessing they have a different repository than what was used for the previous versions ... pure guess on my part. TBH I don't even now where to look for 7.6.31. The BOINC download page only shows up to 7.4.25.
    FWIW the Ubuntu 16.04 repository has 7.6.31. There is also a list of downloads here but I did a quick look and didn't find one for Linux.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Platinum Member

Right. Berkeley officially handed over support to BOINC when the federal funding lapsed. It's now maintained by the general populace at the boinc git repository. Linux distros are simply provided by volunteers that still care. The ppa I pointed out earlier is the closest thing to an official repository as I've stumbled onto since that shift.

NOTE: I have successfully built BOINC from the git repository, but it's not a "package" when compiled that way, so you better have all your dependencies in a row if you plan on doing that.

https://github.com/BOINC/boinc