Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Equipment...

Administrator

Re: Dead Equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    That would be cool but I wouldn't be able to fix it until December sometime until I can afford a reworking station. I still have a RBox 100 that I have to fix as well.
    I will keep it around in case you want to play surgeon sometime.

I was going to purchase a replacement R-Box 32, but now I'm not sure with the BU changes coming.
    Last edited by Ron Shurtz; 10-31-16 at 10:42 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Shurtz View Post
    I will keep it around in case you want to play surgeon sometime.

I was going to purchase a replacement R-Box 32 but not I'm sure now with the BU changes coming.
    Yeah... with the last two news feeds from BitCoin, I have concerns as well; it's starting to sound like they are moving to mine BitCoins only and the BOINC credits are going away... just a guess though.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Well, hell... Just lost the PSU on my server this morning. The cheapest one I've found is $100; it might as well be a $1000. Looks like I'm down 1 rig indefinitely.

HP-R650FF3.jpg
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Well, hell... Just lost the PSU on my server this morning. The cheapest one I've found is $100; it might as well be a $1000. Looks like I'm down 1 rig indefinitely.

HP-R650FF3.jpg
    Bummer....

I feel your pain.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

All I did was add just one more GPU. It was showing 1000 watts, so I walked away thinking all was good. Three boxes and five gpus fell silent, so I knew something was wrong. I gave it one star in a product review for not going up in flames. Decided not to run that GPU I had just added.

killawhat .jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by somanyroads View Post
    All I did was add just one more GPU. It was showing 1000 watts, so I walked away thinking all was good. Three boxes and five gpus fell silent, so I knew something was wrong. I gave it one star in a product review for not going up in flames. Decided not to run that GPU I had just added.

killawhat .jpg
    I had a kill-a-watt that looked exactly like that a few years ago. I've since added dedicated circuits for most of my crunchers. I still get a bit nervous when I have everything fired up. Glad you caught it early!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by somanyroads View Post

killawhat .jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    I had a kill-a-watt that looked exactly like that a few years ago. I've since added dedicated circuits for most of my crunchers. I still get a bit nervous when I have everything fired up. Glad you caught it early!
    So has a hobby gone too far when you start thinking about installing an automated fire suppression system for your computers?

Edit: On a side note. We used Watts Up? Pro ES when I worked for Energy Management. They're a bit of an investment but they are durable and accurate.

Silver Member

Yes, I feel nervous when everything is powered up too. I melted a service pole a year ago, that cost 2k.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted Forest View Post
    ... I melted a service pole a year ago, that cost 2k.
    Yoooowwwwzzzaaarrr!

Administrator

Just for fun, I plugged the power cord back in the PSU on my server and it turned on. The cool thing about this PSU is that it's hot-swappable; I didn't want to turn it off so I just slide it back in its cage on the server and the rig fired up again. I don't know how long it will run but I'm sure not going to unplug it to find out.

The cage has room for one more PSU and I know something is amiss with the one I have so I'm saving my nickels and dimes to get another one. I've never seen redundant hot-swappable PSU's before; that's not really saying much but it is very cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12