Thread: POEM: The Future of POEM@HOME

Diamond Member

POEM: The Future of POEM@HOME

Dear POEM@HOME community,

first of all we want to express our deepest gratitude for every contributor to our project. Last year we developed a GPU optimized version of SIMONA, which is used as part of POEM@HOME, which speeds up the calculations by various magnitudes. Due to this speedup it has been very hard for us to supply sufficient work to saturate our BOINC project.
    Therefore after eight years running, we have so much computational power that we do not require your large and generous contributions to conduct our science anymore. At the same time other, smaller and bigger projects require more computational power than ever.

The GPU accelerated algorithm will be open-sourced so that other groups can use the efficient forcefield freely to conduct research on GPU clusters on their own (the timeframe for this will be until Christmas. The code is ready to be shipped and the paper is written, but needs to be peer-reviewed before).

We are sorry for the hiccups in the last month; we would have liked to prepare a cleaner and better run of the final tasks.

Thank you again for your amazing support and we hope that your contributions will help other BOINC projects from now on. We want to especially thank Vladimir Tankovich for his contributions to the GPU code.

Best regards,
    The POEM@HOME admin team

P.S.: We will keep the forums and website open for some time and will gradually empty the queue and shutdown the server daemons after approximately 2 months.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: POEM: The Future of POEM@HOME

Did everyone meet their goals?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Nope. Just another addition to a long list of retired projects with very few credits.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Nope and it's doubtful I will as it would take me 2 months to hit my next milestone. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come with projects taking there calculations in house?? If so it's time for me to find another hobby.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Nope and it's doubtful I will as it would take me 2 months to hit my next milestone. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come with projects taking there calculations in house?? If so it's time for me to find another hobby.
    There's always Seti Al

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    There's always Seti Al
    It's the circle of life...right back to where we started this adventure.

Platinum Member

So, I have all the points I want on Poem, but could use about another 100K Hours. Anybody up for some points? Looks like they say they'll have work for maybe another 2 months, unless I read that announcement wrong. Currently 0 RTS, but that may just be the initial burst of grabbers...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    It's the circle of life...right back to where we started this adventure.
    And that'll take you at LEAST 2 months to hit any kind of decent milestone at SETI! Don't ask me how I know...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, I have all the points I want on Poem, but could use about another 100K Hours. Anybody up for some points? Looks like they say they'll have work for maybe another 2 months, unless I read that announcement wrong. Currently 0 RTS, but that may just be the initial burst of grabbers...
    Man that's a sweet offer for somebody! Too bad I'm not at a good spot to take you up on it. At 115M, and there isn't really anything between 100M and 250M, right?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Sure! I would hate to deny you your 100k hours