Thread: BitCoin Utopia: Changes are coming

Diamond Member

BitCoin Utopia: Changes are coming

Some changes I have planned for the near-future:
    - I will shut down www.bitcoinutopia.com (this should save us around 60 euros a year).
    - Bitcoin Utopia will fund only BOINC projects and sites heavily related to BOINC.
    - I should get and set up a certificate to support https protocol.

Henri.

More...

Administrator

Re: BitCoin Utopia: Changes are coming

I wonder how you'll be able to set preferences... or does this mean all the projects will be going away as well?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

I just got my RBox 100 running again but I'm wondering for how long. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has noticed that Campaign 12 is the only one with work. I can't help but wonder if BitCoin has run it's course; especially with the cryptic RSS post "changes are coming" one of which is the site being shut down.

Thoughts?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

BU may have run it's course and there has been talk from Henri about shutting it down for a long time. As long as the price of BTC keeps trending up since the last halving of the block payouts the donating and projects at BU will be trending down. There hasn't been a "new" project in a long time. Just more phases of old ones. JMHO.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Platinum Member

No, that's not the Project site. He used to have two different domains registered and in use, one of which was not really associated with the BOINC side of things. That's the one he was retiring.

As to the lack of projects, yes, that is disconcerting, but he only just recently shut down #7 because it reached it's goal and seeing as that only funds BU, I believe he's trying to get folks to run #12 to get through it for Bok. I'm fairly certain MilkyWay will be back soon, but he also did post that part of his changes was going to be only supporting BOINC related activities. So no more funds for Hydroponics POC's or Martian books written in Polish.