Thread: Kodi Newb wants guidance

Silver Member

Kodi Newb wants guidance

So I recently got a little streaming video player here is the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HT53GM2

Basically it came loaded with tons of shitty apps and many are redundant. I want to clean it up and learn it like I just did a fresh install. I'm not sure if I should reinstall the android OS or just the kodi part. Here is some info:

Android settings:
    Devince name: t95n
    version: 5.1.1
    kernel version: it01@ubuntu #3 wed jun 29 10:01:51
    Build: LMY47V.20160628 test-keys

Kodi Version 16.0

I'd like it run BOINC, I installed it but it doesn't get past the first BOINC graphic when I try to launch it.

Any resources, opinions, experiences etc welcome.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Re: Kodi Newb wants guidance

Can you uninstall apps under Settings-Apps? What flavor of Boinc are you installing? NativeBoinc TSBT has had issues with trying to run NativeBoinc on Android OS 5.+

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Can you uninstall apps under Settings-Apps? What flavor of Boinc are you installing? NativeBoinc TSBT has had issues with trying to run NativeBoinc on Android OS 5.+
    I went in to settings and restored factory defaults, which uninstalled most of everything. You can tell this isn't the standard android distro as theres some flavors and graphics that google wouldn't put in like "Online Video" is a picture of Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man.

After resetting I tried installing the official BOINC, again. It downloads and installs without issue but I launch it and I just get the white background with the BOINC icon and it doesn't go past that. I think I'm going to find an new android ISO just not sure where or which one to use.

Edit: you know its hard to find an "android download" via google search thats not an x86 port. Currently Im downloading two different OpenELECs distros. One is supposedly built specificaly for an AMLogic cpu. I have no idea what format/setup I have to do to get these .gz/.img files to get them to boot from.

I love these little wireless keyboards, I was gonna get a KVM but maybe I'll just get a few of these things.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 11-03-16 at 11:06 PM.

Try installing NativeBoinc by Fundacja BOINC Polska. Be sure to install it to memory. That's the only version I know of that will allow other Boinc Managers and Boinc Tasks to connect to the client.

Silver Member

put some more time in on this but didn't get too far. So I started out by formatting an 8gb sd card with SDcardFormatter (might have been a mistake). After formatting I used win32diskimager to put an OpenELEC.img on it. It errored out ~midway through the write. Afterwards my windows machines do not want to mess with the SDcard, after inserting the card it asks to insert a media into drive F. I fiddle with disk manager to try and redo the partition and change drive name/letter but to no avail. The disk is formatted to only 500~ mb. Right now it's either bricked or protected somehow, someone suggested putting it into a camera and formatting it. I don't have one other than my phone, and I don't want to mess with that.

So I thought hey it's got two USB2 ports. I formatted a USB drive and again used Win32diskimager and it wrote the image without error. Problem is it looks like this device won't boot from a USB drive. It's an Amlogic S905x, if I didn't mention that. Looks like I'm probably gonna order a new SDcard cause well they're cheap and probably faster than borrowing a "real" camera to try to format it in.

Past Administrator

Okay I did a little digging and found this thread on RaspberryPi.Org --->>> Reformatting SD Card. About half way down the page, user Zulucat suggests trying a SDCard formatting tool from SDCard.org

Supposedly it worked for the OP. Worth giving it a try.

F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Here's thread from the TSBT forum. Alez said he couldn't get NativeBoinc to run on any version of Android above 4.4. Berkley Boinc ran on 5.1 (I think) but you can't connect to it from Boinc Manager on some other system. Here's the thread...http://www.tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=3048

You might visit the Freaktab forums for info about that specific device. They have stock and custom ROMs you can flash your device with if needed. Here's a sub forum for support on the Amlogic S905X devices...http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-players/s905x

If you can find a ROM with android 4.4, I'd try flashing it with that then install Native Boinc from the Google Play. Native Boinc allows you to connect/control from other Managers.

Also, if you plan to dabble with the Android TV boxes, make sure you get one with at least 2GB RAM. 2GB is the most I've seen so far but could change. The RK3288 boxes and S802/S812 boxes work well.