Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New GPU Project

Platinum Member

Re: New GPU Project

367.57 is the current Recommended Linux release. 370.23 is the current Beta linux release. Where did you find the 375.10 for Linux?

I tried installing 367.57 to see if that worked for my GTX 670 under Ubuntu 14.04.3. I got the same error you did. I eventually determined it was because BOINC keeps the driver loaded even when it's not running a GPU WU. So you'll need to add
    service boinc-client stop
    to the list of things you stop. As the next command after the gdm stop command should work fine. It then allowed me to update the drivers just fine.

Code:
    09-Nov-2016 21:14:08 [---] CUDA: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 670 (driver version 367.57, CUDA version 8.0, compute capability 3.0, 1997MB, 1964MB available, 2915 GFLOPS peak)
    09-Nov-2016 21:14:08 [---] OpenCL: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 670 (driver version 367.57, device version OpenCL 1.2 CUDA, 1997MB, 1964MB available, 2915 GFLOPS peak)
    Once the drivers were updated, I just started the boinc-client service again. Too bad that still didn't get successful work out of the project. I'm trying the Beta drivers next.

Platinum Member

Looks like the missing piece is probably not the drivers, but the Cuda RunTime Library... Go here to download the 7.5 version of the Cuda Toolkit which is what it looks like the app is expecting to have installed...

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-75-downloads-archive

Have patience, because that huge package thinks for quite a while without showing any progress bars along the way. Read the installation prompts because that humongous package comes with the 352.39 drivers, which you don't want to install over your newer ones. I also opted to not install the samples.

You may be able to get away with installing the current 8.0 Cuda Toolkit if it creates links for backwards compatibility, but I haven't tested that.

Next hurdle I ran into is it looks like the app is also expecting a compiler is available. At the least a modern libstdc++6 needs to have been installed. That's as far as I've gotten now. My 14.04.3 is busy trying to upgrade to 14.04.5 for my next attempt.

Looks like a no-go on 14.04 for me. But let me know how far you get on 16.04.

Administrator

Yo gentlemen, and I use that term loosely, check out the 2nd post on THIS thread ... the admin tells what to do to get it going under Ubuntu

Silver Member

Thanks Mumps. You can find the 375.10 driver here. And from the FWIW dept upgrading to the 370.23 driver makes my 1060 run hotter and pull 40 more watts of power for no appreciable increase in crunching speed that I could see @ GPUGrid. Will be interesting to see what the 375.10 does. Might be downgrading the driver and skipping the new project if I get the same results.

Thanks for the link Bryan.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Platinum Member

See the project forums for my end result. I actually got it working on Ubuntu 14.04.5 with the 370.23 drivers on my GTX670. Not easy, not clean, but definitely satisfying.

Now that I ran that one WU, I've detached that host to run elsewhere.

Platinum Member

OK. So for Ubuntu 14.04.5 64bit, here's the order I did things in that seems to work best. This is probably pretty close to what would work for MiNT, and you can probably skip the dpkg install on Ubuntu 16.04.

Download the three parts (I downloaded mine to the default "~/Downloads" folder.)

libstdc++6_5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4_amd64.deb
    cuda_7.5.18_linux.run
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57.run

Then run the following series of commands from a "sudo bash" command prompt. Choose not to restart the system after the update-manager step is done so the rest of the steps can get run.

Code:
    service lightdm stop
    service boinc-client stop
    apt-get update
    update-manager
    cd ~/Downloads
    bash ./cuda_7.5.18_linux.run
    cp /tmp/cuda_install_*.log ~/
    bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57.run
    dpkg -i libstdc++6_5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4_amd64.deb
    echo /usr/local/cuda/lib64 >>/etc/ld.so.conf.d/cuda.conf
    ldconfig
    service boinc-client start
    service lightdm start
    WU's downloaded from the project worked immediately for me. You can reboot whenever it's convenient. I actually ran that code as a script on the final host I set up this morning and it worked immediately. There may have been some extra packages installed on that particular host prior to today though, so you may also need to have installed packages like libstdc++6 or gcc, but you can investigate those items if it fails to work right away for you as shown here.

Administrator

disregard this post - wrong project.
    Last edited by Al; 11-15-16 at 02:41 PM.

Platinum Member

And ATI??? Dang, now I gotta go update drivers on those hosts too??? Sheesh!

Advisor - Stateside Division

I don't see an ATI app at andersonattack and there is still no work available on cuda either?

Administrator

My bad...it was XANSONS for COD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast