Thread: Growing the Team...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Growing the Team...

I know that I posted this over in Dr. Pop’s SETI.USA Bash Brothers Group in response to a post about our losing ground. This was off topic for the thread so I thought that I would pick it back up here. It started with upgrading and recruiting and I had thrown in a few thought of my own and I would like to see what your thoughts are. Think of this as brainstorming.

Upgrading: Won’t exactly grow the team but it will enhance our position. This one obviously takes money for the most part except for making sure all of the software and drivers are updated.

Are there any ideas where we can get cheap or free equipment?

Are there any speed tweaks that can be made to any of our current equipment?

Recruiting: Frankly, I have no idea on this one. I’ve posted and talked with family & friends about BOINC and what it’s about and the consensus so far is they all think I’m out of my mind and it’s a complete waste of time and money.

Retention: I know that people will come and go but on the other board I saw a few join for awhile and then just disappear. I don’t know if this just wasn’t for them or if we had personality conflicts.

Any ideas how to keep people interested in coming back?

Reacquisition: Also I think we need to make an effort towards reacquisition of old members; we should try and contact them. I know this would be a painstaking task but I believe that it would be worth the effort, so much in fact that I am willing to work on this myself.

I PM’ed Mr. Hankey and got his blessing on this one already; he said that I should get a hold of Crazy Bob’s Son to coordinate our efforts since he was working on this already. Last night I started collecting email addresses from the old system and sent a bunch of email. I started at Z, Y and X for user names; there were 111 users only 69 of those have email. Out of 69 I sent, 4 came back as undeliverable and I already got 1 response this morning from Wendy1847 so I am optimistic.

Assimilation: You’re probably going to think I’m crazy for this one but like I said there are many smaller teams out there, how about we open dialogue with them and see if they would be willing to be incorporated into SETI.USA.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 11-11-10 at 09:13 AM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up