Hi Everyone,

This is a repost (modified and added-to) from my thread here, FYI:

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/foru...d.php?id=83125

I successfully enabled my motherboard's integrated GPU for enhanced SETI processing (and other tasks). Most motherboards come with a low-end Intel GPU (mine is an Intel HD 630), and they're surprisingly productive at SETI; they typically ship with this GPU disabled. I have twin NVidia TITAN Xp (SLI connected), and indeed most people have a separate graphics card(s) many times better performing than the Intel GPU.

However, the Intel GPU is there, and, it's quite productive, so why not use it? I have a thread here that discusses it, and results:

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/foru...d.php?id=83080

I can post more results as I'm now even more impressed with it's SETI performance, as well as it's OpenCL productivity across the various applications I use (even games)--again, despite it NOT being my primary GPU (it's not connected to a display). So, for anyone keen to get as much performance from their PC for SETI (or any relevant computing task(s)), this may be useful. (A note for those who don't know: OpenCL is a set of drivers that enable computing on various GPU hardware; they're supplied by the GPU manufacturer; the Operating System (Windows, OS X, etc.) uses 'intelligence' to assign various tasks to the available GPU hardware, all GPUs are treated as co-processors; Multiple GPUs can work on tasks in parallel or work on completely different/independent tasks, this explains why you get an overall system performance boost (across many applications) with more OpenCL GPUs enabled.

3 Steps to enabling your Intel GPU as an additional OpenCL co-processor:

1. Enable (turn on) the Intel GPU in BIOS (this is not always easy as the menus are all different, as are the names for functions; mine was buried under menus that had nonsense names)--there may be associated settings we can discuss (mine, for instance, had a selection for how much shared memory to allocate, which I set to the max: 1GB), as well as other things.

2. Download the latest Windows drivers (from Intel)

3. Download the latest OpenCL drivers (from Intel)

Thanks to Jord (from the Seti@Home forum for helping me!

Overall system performance increase is about 3-5% for me (but that is relative to my twin TITAN Xp GPUs, so lower-end cards will proportionally show a larger percentage gain. My MacBook Pro (2018 model has an Intel HD 630 and an ATI Radeon Pro 560, and the Intel adds 11% to the overall SETI productivity. Pretty fun, especially if you have OCD (as I do) and wish to optimize your setup

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Mark