Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team chat instructions

Silver Member

Post Team chat instructions

Come join us in our weekly evening of chat! Every Monday evening @8 pm CST.

The following assumes you wish to join us using mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/install.html). If you wish to join us using another chat program keep in mind the steps will be different but the commands should remain the same.

Setting Up mIRC

Now it's time to enter some details. Full Name: Put anything, doesn’t have to be your name. Email Address: You do not need to enter a real email address here if you don't wish to. Nickname: Choose a nickname that you will use to chat as. Remember most of the common names will already be taken. Alternative: This is incase the chosen nickname is taken. Try thinking of a second option.

Connecting to a Server and Channel

Down the bottom of the screen, in the box, type /server irc.Freenode.net (.com may work for some but not all chat programs). This will connect you to the ICQ Network, where #team_seti.usa is located.

mIRC will then connect to the ICQ server; you should then see a similar screen to the one on the right. Now it's time to join the #team_seti.usa channel. You do this by typing /join #team_seti.usa. Then Press Enter. Now you should be in the team_seti.usa channel.

Registering Your Nickname

Ok, now its time to register your nickname so nobody else can take it. This can be done by typing /NickServ REGISTER PASSWORD EMAIL. Password, being a password that you will remember. Email, Please use a valid email address, otherwise you will not be able to retrieve your password if you forget it, or some servers require email activation. For further information on registering and it's options go to http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

Now, we will add it to Auto Identify, so that everytime you connect you don’t have to type it. This can be done by clicking Tools -> Options -> then find Connect, then under Connect, click Options, then select perform. You should now see the picture on the right. Now type in /NickServ IDENTIFY PASSWORD. The password will be the password that you used while registering the nick.

Now you should be connected to #team_seti.usa on the ICQ network. Type your message in the box at the bottom of the screen, and wait for a reply. Just remember, that people aren’t in there all the time. So just sit back and wait for a reply.

After you've been on the channel a while or just want to see what has been going on, there is a stat page for the channel as well http://kd5zex.net/stats . Have fun!

***Will be updating the information and pictures during the weekend, Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Sarge104; 12-31-10 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Updating info
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Re: Team chat instructions

just a note, do to significant issues in the present and past with the ICQ servers, we are moving to the freenode server. it will be our primary server starting Jan 1st, 2011. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Server: irc.reenode.net
    Port: 6667
    Room: #team_seti.usa
    Last edited by Tank_Master; 12-27-10 at 11:34 PM.

Red face Re: Team chat instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Tank_Master View Post
    just a note, do to significant issues in the present and past with the ICQ servers, we are moving to the freenode server. it will be our primary server starting Jan 1st, 2011. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Server: irc.reenode.net
    Port: 6667
    Room: #team_seti.usa
    Right server should be irc.freenode.net.

yoyo

Platinum Member

Updated the article on the main page with the new server...

JerWA

If you're not comfortable with mIRC, and run the Firefox web browser, just install ChatZilla:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/chatzilla/

And then click this link:
    irc://irc.Freenode.net/team_seti.usa

Done

Platinum Member

Thanks, JerWA!

I updated the post on the main page and moved it to the top. If you want it edited, let me know...

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Thanks, JerWA!

I updated the post on the main page and moved it to the top. If you want it edited, let me know...
    Maxwell, just a minor thing but could be improved. The article uses CST Time. That is OK if everybody knows CST time in relation to their own time. If you add in brackets the equivalent UTC time that would be helpful.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    Maxwell, just a minor thing but could be improved. The article uses CST Time. That is OK if everybody knows CST time in relation to their own time. If you add in brackets the equivalent UTC time that would be helpful.
    I agree. Using UTC makes us appear more scientific. Plus then we get to make fun of people that have no clue how to figure out what time that means for them

Platinum Member

How should I alter it with Daylight savings time then? I will not remember to edit the article twice a year, and the UTC time changes, but the time in the Central time zone does not...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    How should I alter it with Daylight savings time then? I will not remember to edit the article twice a year, and the UTC time changes, but the time in the Central time zone does not...
    errr, I think you got it mixed up. UTC never changes. That is what makes UTC important and why it is used.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast