Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my aching wallet!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gold Member

Re: Oh my aching wallet!

Ah, any help is welcome.

My initial plan had been to use my cpus for the projects that seem interesting to me and use my gpu for credit whoring. Luckily enough, I do have an interest in PG, so my gpu was used for both interest and credit. But...

I noticed this thing called mega milestones, and so, I just joined every project that I could.

I'm currently running both cpu and gpu on everything that comes my way. I intend on building a farm, but that will be slow in coming and may not really get going until after summer.

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Ah, any help is welcome.

My initial plan had been to use my cpus for the projects that seem interesting to me and use my gpu for credit whoring. Luckily enough, I do have an interest in PG, so my gpu was used for both interest and credit. But...
    You want to help us at PrimeGrid? Oh you are my new hero!

I have been building up my systems for the June 20th PG challenge. Hope to see you there!

http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/challenge.php
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    You want to help us at PrimeGrid? Oh you are my new hero!

I have been building up my systems for the June 20th PG challenge. Hope to see you there!

http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/challenge.php
    Sorry for the late response, busy day.

Yes! I finally decided to join a team because I didn't just want to build credits, I wanted direction and to be part of something. I'll help in any way I can.

But, I"m going on a geology field trip for a couple of weeks during that time. I don't think I could leave my machines on during that time without supervision. I could have someone I know do it for me though. Is it as simple as having my machines setup to crunch PG at that date? Or do I need to be around?

Past Administrator

Sorry for the late response, busy day.

Yes! I finally decided to join a team because I didn't just want to build credits, I wanted direction and to be part of something. I'll help in any way I can.

But, I"m going on a geology field trip for a couple of weeks during that time. I don't think I could leave my machines on during that time without supervision. I could have someone I know do it for me though. Is it as simple as having my machines setup to crunch PG at that date? Or do I need to be around?
    There are several ways to administrate your systems.
    BAM: BOINC Account Manager (BAM) is a fairly useful method of managing one or more systems running BOINC. There is no direct connection to a users computer with BAM. Everything is done via the BAM website. For me the two biggest issues using BAM are

*The more systems you need to manage with BAM the more convoluted it becomes since to fully manage even one system requires moving between several web pages.

*Any changes made on the website are not immediately realized on the managed system(s) until the next time it/they are scheduled to contact the BAM website.

BOINC Manager(s): All BOINC account manager apps use the RPC network protocol for communicating with the BOINC Daemon a.k.a. Boinc.exe. The major concern is that RPC is a very insecure protocol which makes any system connected to the internet with it vulnerable. There are methods to make it more secure like "wrapping" the RPC connection in a VPN Tunnel or some other Tunneling Protocol.

VNC: Virtual Network Connection (VNC) is an established method for controlling a PC remotely. There are many different versions available. Some have a free license for use and others are commercial and require payment for use. Unfortunately VNC shares the same vulnerability as a BOINC manager, RPC. Most VNC apps have incorporated some form of security but can be problematic to implement. Some of the more popular VNC apps include TeamViewer and UltraVNC among others.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Administering my meager farm of 2 machines has been relatively simple so far and boincstats BAM is pretty effortless. All of my machines are going to be at my home, so that makes it easier on me. I plan on using a combination of vnc and ssh in a mix of windows and linux (cuz it's free!).

The point I was trying to make about being on vacation was that the only way I can add my machines to the competition would be to let a friend or family come in and turn my boxes on for that duration. I will be incommunicado with no connectivity to my home network at all.

I'm not setup yet to allow for 24/7 running due to the summer heat unfortunately. I was going to either try a separately AC'd room or the garage. Not sure yet. When I crunched in the past, I just left a bunch of machines at work where it was nice and cool. Doing this at home takes a lot more planning. It makes me feel like such a newb.

Past Administrator

Administering my meager farm of 2 machines has been relatively simple so far and boincstats BAM is pretty effortless. All of my machines are going to be at my home, so that makes it easier on me. I plan on using a combination of vnc and ssh in a mix of windows and linux (cuz it's free!).

The point I was trying to make about being on vacation was that the only way I can add my machines to the competition would be to let a friend or family come in and turn my boxes on for that duration. I will be incommunicado with no connectivity to my home network at all.

I'm not setup yet to allow for 24/7 running due to the summer heat unfortunately. I was going to either try a separately AC'd room or the garage. Not sure yet. When I crunched in the past, I just left a bunch of machines at work where it was nice and cool. Doing this at home takes a lot more planning. It makes me feel like such a newb.
    OK. Well on Windows you could set up a few scheduled tasks to change which projects get crunched on or after system start up. If you do that in conjunction with your BOIS to start and stop your system if it has that feature. Then all a friend would have to do is boot up the system at your chosen time of day.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK. Well on Windows you could set up a few scheduled tasks to change which projects get crunched on or after system start up. If you do that in conjunction with your BOIS to start and stop your system if it has that feature. Then all a friend would have to do is boot up the system at your chosen time of day.
    This.

It should all be ready to go. The only questionable variable will be the friend or family member that I ask to do it.

Gold Member

This sounds like myself. I want it all!!!
    I'm going for MM, but I also want badges and stuff... and I want to help out the team for rank... and I want credits...and cookies are good
    This is just my thoughts....If you want max credits from your current video cards (as zombie stated), keep them on PG for now. It will eventually get you the higher end MMs. Use your CPUs to get the lower end MMs. In your future rigs, get yourself some ATI/AMD cards to get more MMs in other projects. All credits acquired help the team! I hope the MM guys dont hate me for saying this.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    This is just my thoughts....If you want max credits from your current video cards (as zombie stated), keep them on PG for now. It will eventually get you the higher end MMs. Use your CPUs to get the lower end MMs. In your future rigs, get yourself some ATI/AMD cards to get more MMs in other projects. All credits acquired help the team! I hope the MM guys dont hate me for saying this.
    Nope. That's actually not incompatible with my advice. Well played, sir.

Silver Member

Does this mean I'm gonna have to fend off another "Team Member" from stalking my current position?

I hate Moo!...Well not really hate, but am displeased with them. Some Team members state they can run Moo! in 10 mins. or less per/WU, but it takes me 2+ hours to do them. That makes me unhappy. I'll stick with Dnet for that credit.

If I've done my math anywhere close to right, that one 590 card should pull down around 1m credit/day if not more/maybe a bit less, running PG. I would put that sucker to work on PG and leave it there for the ultimate in credit gathering.

Of course being a [TopGun] makes me very biased, but I know what I'm doing.

Lately, I see some other members dropping off in production. This makes me wonder.....what IS it all about? Weather, electric bills, being away from home whilst on trips? Excessive heat in the basement?.......Who knows?

Or should I say....What is it ALL about?

Well....

It's about the TEAM!
    It's about the Glory!
    It's about the FUN!
    It's about Challenge!
    It's about WINNING!
    It's about BEING NUMBER 1!

How much difference is crunching for BOINC is there as compared to watching football, baseball, racing, or, anything else?

Well, here's the answer..........(drum roll......)

When you're watching TV on all the sport channels, that's all you're doing...Watching!

When you're crunching on all the BOINC projects, YOU ARE PARTICIPATING! SUDDENLY, you are NOT just a spectator, you are a PLAYER and YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE OUTCOME OF WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!

I vote we somehow get CRUNCHING initiated as a true SPORT in life!

Wouldn't that stir up some $hit?

Yo-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast