Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
I can take care of that since you're on our team on all the projects you work. Welcome to the full forum.
Al Bundy?

From "Married with Children" fame/legend/epic-television-series? Al, with infamous, "insert hand confidently/comfortably down, inside front of pants, a reflex-reaction, once he takes his "throne" (living-room couch, after putting-in a hard days' "being subjected to his shoe store customers' questions, needs, and re-education on life-prioritization)? Co-starring his wife, Peg, son, Bud, and daughter, Kelly? Not to mention, canine-of-wisdom (since Season 4...), Buck?

I recall the overwhelming task that troubled Al most, was whenever Peg requested for Al to go upstairs, and be compelled to put-forth a genuine effort to Peg's "intimacy request" (annual Valentine's Day "gift", Mother's Day "present", "Birthday Present", "Making it Onto Santa's Naughty List", etc.), he seemed less-than-enthusiastic about it, and emerged as-if he had stepped-into the house, directly from an apocalyptic event.

And his neighbors were great...

Like the Al Simon music video with Chevy Chase suggests... Can I "Call you Al"?

All that aside, thank you for granting me full-forum access!

How'd you know I was working on a few, little "crunching" projects? Must be an informant in the operation... He *might* have revealed that I crunch colleatz, WUProp, Rosetta, Universe, Asteroids, Milky Way, and that other one... with the aliens and stuff? Carl Sagan mentioned something about a little project, entitled, "SETI"? That might have been the one that started it all for me, a few years back.

I've never really been able to amass the financial resources to piece-together a decent machine, until just recently. Oh, and a few, popular online games might have played a part in my tardiness/absence, as well... I recall investing a great deal of time/effort into one, particular game, for years... the words, "raid", and "epic", and "legendary", and "freakin' Horde guy just blipped me..." come to mind...

It's been a LOOOOOOOONG while since I've actually been able to invest some meaningful time into my BOINC projects/crunching, but I *FINALLY* finished piecing-together a new desktop machine, after my previous machine's motherboard took a <Insert Poop Emogee> on me, a few months back.

Since then, I've re-constructed/re-animated my old machine (an i7-5960X-CPU, NVIDIA TITAN GTX-ATX-based system), my newer-machine (an i9-9980XE-CPU, NVIDIA TITAN RTX-ITX-based system), and I'm in the process of doing "covert-ops" on my significant other's older, but still decent, machine (an i7-3960X-CPU, dual NVIDIA 690 GTX-ATX-based system). All of the aforementioned systems have, at minimum, 32GB RAM, and several Samsung SSDs, typically configured in a RAID-0 fashion.

Got any tips on making any of them more BOINC-efficient/robust, if I still wish to do the occassional web-browsing, game-playing, MS Office-based project "cramming" session, and other types of ill-$hizola that may arise?

Perhaps setting-up a custom, minimal-startup and memory-intensive startup/background-application need vs. want analysis, and if crunching, disabling anything "memory-intensive", like active virus/trojan/phishing/etc. scanners?

I've yet to peruse the forum(s) to discover/elucidate/enlighten-me with such information, as I've been spending a good deal of time, away from home, tending-to improving health-related "issues" (nothing a good bottle of scotch, a slap on the back, and a "Suck it up, Cupcake!" couldn't remedy, right?).

Nonetheless, thanks again for the kind/warm welcome, and I'll continue to do everything in my power to crunch like... like... back in the day, when I was playing "Number Munchers" on an old, Apple ][e, in some sort of "educational" setting... the only education I recall having received was, "Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, and Number Crunchers were fun games. And watch out for the Troggs(?) in Number Crunchers? Or a heron in Odell Lake? Or that "Timmy" doesn't "die from dysentery" more than once, while "forging the river in a poorly-constructed, failure-prone, luck-deficient, cross-country-covered-wagon-adventure, minus hiring a guide? If I could have afforded upgrading to a Winnebago, after raking-in the dough from all those hunting sessions, it might have improved my chances...

Sorry, off on too many tangents. Have a great one, and please, let me know if there's anything, in particular, I can do to assist. I'll try my best not to disappoint.

-Phlewyd-