Derp... not sure why I didn't consider swapping the mobo for a dual-socket and adding a 2nd E5-2670 V3. It will even cost less, and for more threads

Here's what I'll get:
https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-mb...82E16813182967

Is it best to fill all the memory slots? I don't know if I can justify the cost of 128Gb RAM... I think 64 will have to do. Better to do 8x8 or 4x16?

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
Just an opinion here...
My E5-2670 V3 ES 12c/24t CPUs are trashing the V4's (all cores/threads versions) everywhere I run directly against them.

There's nothing wrong with the processor, it still a very capable CPU, better than most, it keeps up fairly well with the Threadrippers also...

The 2080 GPU is a good one better than a 1080Ti by about 25% head to head, but if you can afford it go for the 2080Ti, it's better even still.

Conclusion on best advice? I would keep the processor and go for the better GPU.... (unless your considering a threadripper, that's where the cutting edge is right now)

(just a note, that x99 MB throttles the
E5-2670 V3 Xeons, in fact it throttles all Xeons. I would suggest if your considering upgrading, update to an X10 supermicro server MB. It really unlocks the capabilities of the 2700 series Xeons)